Windows Fucked My Hakstick :(

Trip

i dont know if there's any way i can recover my files

but windows disk consistency checking popped up on my d: (usb drive) b/c id left it plugged in but the computer was not set to boot from it

now windows says it needs formatting which is bull shit :( ... i spent a long time making that stick

now im going to have to start over again BOLLOX im annoyed

anyone suggest a disk rescue tool that will work on my usb :( ... i think its a file system error ... i think (hope) the data is still there

or has anyone had a similar problem

Edited by Trip

Firstly I'd try using TestDisk to recover the corrupt partition, or failing that use PhotoRec to recover whatever files you can based on file headers. Remember to clone the drive before doing anything... More tools that may be useful include DiskDigger, R-Studio and EASEUS Data Recovery. This happened to me not too long ago and I managed to get pretty much everything back using EASEUS' software

Edited by iisjman07

You can also boot with a livecd and see if a Linux will read it.

It usually doesn't have as much trouble as Windows and

sometimes simply mounting it within Linux can make the

device show back up like normal in Windows as well.

fail :( need to rebuild

.... saying that i just tried to format it and it wont let me

so im beginning to think the drive is fucked :( damn it

update :

drive is mashed :( ... tried rewriting the MBR but no joy ... and windows seems to think its 8mb lol ... (its a 8gb)

GUTTED

Edited by Trip

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deleted_Account
fail :( need to rebuild

.... saying that i just tried to format it and it wont let me

so im beginning to think the drive is fucked :( damn it

update :

drive is mashed :( ... tried rewriting the MBR but no joy ... and windows seems to think its 8mb lol ... (its a 8gb)

GUTTED

Sorry for the Semi-bumb; anyways mine did the same (8GB sandisk) try using DD in linux i had to do:

dd if=/dev/random of=/dev/sdb1

followed by

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdb1

not sure why but first time zeroing didnt work and even after the random data it was only 8 mb. but zeroing after wiping with random data worked. not sure if order matters or if it will even work for you. Also note after windows sees it will make you format it again and it will then work on windows.

EDIT: P.S as a reminder change the 'sdb1' to your flash drive :P

Edited by x942

im going to give this a go

... we should compile a completely free & open image with numerous configurations for

4gb, 8gb and 16gb

i know it takes the fun out of making your own but would be a cool file worthy of a torrent

and also if anyone else suffers the same loss as me there would be a simple option for creating another multipass

im dreading having to edit the grub config again lol :)

... some copying and pasting in order lol

Guest Deleted_Account
im going to give this a go

... we should compile a completely free & open image with numerous configurations for

4gb, 8gb and 16gb

i know it takes the fun out of making your own but would be a cool file worthy of a torrent

and also if anyone else suffers the same loss as me there would be a simple option for creating another multipass

im dreading having to edit the grub config again lol :)

... some copying and pasting in order lol

I agree. I am going to start and through mine up tonight on my Dropbox public folder. Ill post a link latter.

i tried the dd command you suggested but it seems to hang

the device is showing on the box as /disk/sdb

linux is also detecting it as an 8mb disk :( ... but its not mountable / available

root@webserver1:/home/webs# fdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 20.5 GB, 20490559488 bytes

255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 2491 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes

Disk identifier: 0x07880788

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/sda1 * 1 2382 19133383+ 83 Linux

/dev/sda2 2383 2491 875542+ 5 Extended

/dev/sda5 2383 2491 875511 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Disk /dev/sdb: 8 MB, 8388608 bytes

1 heads, 16 sectors/track, 1024 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 16 * 512 = 8192 bytes

Disk identifier: 0xffffffff

Disk /dev/sdb doesn't contain a valid partition table

i think its in usb heaven ... ive tried testdisk << but this wont write any partitions to the disk

gparted also failed i think its fried

Edited by Trip

• 2 months later...

if you have not tried to reformat it on linux yet give it ago, on ubuntu it is system-administration-disk utility (or something similiar) you should be able to view the usb stick. then you should have a choice to reformat it. i find it easier to do in linux then in windows.

even if it doesnt come up when you put it in, you should get it on the menu.

• 2 weeks later...

i know it sounds cliché, but what i do with mine, seeing as i dont have much luck with my usb drives, is always keep an up to date backup of my multipass, that way, if the drive dies, i always have a backup to fall back on and dont need to go through the whole process of rebuilding it.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deleted_Account
i know it sounds cliché, but what i do with mine, seeing as i dont have much luck with my usb drives, is always keep an up to date backup of my multipass, that way, if the drive dies, i always have a backup to fall back on and dont need to go through the whole process of rebuilding it.

Same here I keep 1:1 images of my Multi-pass on my 1 TB external HDD. Mainly because I ALWAYS seem to dd the wrong flash drive :/

• 3 weeks later...