Fedora 13 Or Ubuntu 10.04

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

So today i was about to upgrade my Laptop from fedora 12 but i wasnt sure if i should stick with fedora 13 or go back to ubuntu 10.04 ( havent tried since Beta). Any thoughts on which is better for personal use?

A nice thing about Ubuntu 10.04 is it is a Long Term Support release, which will receive updates for 2 years if I remember correctly. This is great on a desktop since you won't have to upgrade for a while. Although if you want newer software next year, you'll have to upgrade anyway.

As far as which is better, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses. They are both similar systems and neither is inherently better than the other. Use whichever one you like better.

Tried both like you, hadn't tried ubuntu in a while, switched for about a week to Ubuntu 10.04 from Fedora 13. I went back to Fedora.

Honestly if you've used Fedora for a while, not need to switch. Ubuntu IMO has gotten better, but I'd stick with Feddy.

Linux is Linux is Linux, and aside from things like apt vs rpm, the attitudes of the developer and community its all pretty much the same. Ubuntu has a tendency towards just working, without fuss, and having a friendly community, but the documentation is crap and people in the community are more about quick hacks than long-term viable solutions. I've not used Fedora for some time, but I found the community there to be just as helpful, but with more professionalism and less of a tendency to suggest that the answer to your question is to do something else entirely, but using software with a far more silly name or a poorly documented script.

They are both Linux however, and anyone can burn an ISO these days so just try them out.

Those quick and nasty scripts do have one positive side, it helps people see the barebones of scripting. Those with some initiative will quickly decide to ramp up on what has already been done and make things better. Those that don't aren't going to care how the scripts are written as long as they work.

Guest Deleted_Account
Try it, if you are reinstalling any way, you have nothing to loose.

True.

A nice thing about Ubuntu 10.04 is it is a Long Term Support release, which will receive updates for 2 years if I remember correctly. This is great on a desktop since you won't have to upgrade for a while. Although if you want newer software next year, you'll have to upgrade anyway.

As far as which is better, they both have their own strengths and weaknesses. They are both similar systems and neither is inherently better than the other. Use whichever one you like better.

The one thing i like Ubuntu over Fedora is the fact that there is no dumb No "non-free" repository which ubuntu has by default like flash etc. (plus i prefer apt to yum anyways and deb vs rpm). reason being is i find Ubuntu easier to find stuff precompiled for while fedora i have less issues with compiling VS ubuntu. Next problem is Fedora never wants to properly install metasploit :(

Linux is Linux is Linux, and aside from things like apt vs rpm, the attitudes of the developer and community its all pretty much the same. Ubuntu has a tendency towards just working, without fuss, and having a friendly community, but the documentation is crap and people in the community are more about quick hacks than long-term viable solutions. I've not used Fedora for some time, but I found the community there to be just as helpful, but with more professionalism and less of a tendency to suggest that the answer to your question is to do something else entirely, but using software with a far more silly name or a poorly documented script.

They are both Linux however, and anyone can burn an ISO these days so just try them out.

i Completely agree with what you said. And as for quick-hacks thats why i like the ubuntu community vs fedora (depending on the issue)

I decided to upgrade fedora to 13 for now (running Ubuntu 10.04 on persitant live usb)