Pineapple Housing Mods

circuitdust

Hey,

Just thought I'd share some pics my Pineapple II's new case. The original housing with just velcro on the battery-box kept getting damaged in my bag. So I've given it a tougher outer shell.

• - Pelican 1020 case

- Extra external antenna connector

- Hole in lid for on/off switch

I'd be keen to see any other mods people have done...

Pineapple-II-Mod_01.jpg

Pineapple-II-Mod_02.jpg

Pineapple-II-Mod_04.jpg

Very cool mod. I like the use of the Pelican case. If you didn't have a hole for the on/off switch, it could even be water proof.

Thanks,

I was originally going to keep it waterproof, but decided there was never really going to be time I would need it to be. The convenience of switching it on/off in my bag without having to open the case, outweighed the need for waterproofing.

The next version will try to include a remote on/off switch.

• 3 weeks later...

@ greendixy

The external antenna connector was just piggybacked onto the existing antenna. I haven't seen any degredation in performance. In the picture you can see that I soldered it onto the board adjacent to the main antenna - but someone with far better skills than my own, pointed out that it was on a different circuit. So I changed it to attach to the same point as the main antenna.

@ KennyG

I haven't had a chance to install the remote switch yet. And while the Fon gets a little warm, I've never had it running long enough to get hotter than what I'd consider to be an acceptable temperature.

I'll be sure sure to post any improvements I make.

Yes it was a different circuit, infact it is the second antenna for it. Just there isn't one connected.

So, is it better to solder to the existing antenna or put on the other one and change the configuration in openwrt?

So, is it better to solder to the existing antenna or put on the other one and change the configuration in openwrt?

Without seeing the a good pic of the board, it might not even have the components for the second antenna. If you're going for an external antenna like the OP's mod, I'd just unsolder the original pigtail and use that point.

I understand that there is a second place for another antenna. What I want is to have an antenna inside the case and external. This way if I don't want a big one connect at some point it will still have a small one in the case. The thing I am thinking about is how it will work. I would guess if I soldered it to the second one it would have to be changed possibly in openwrt to use the other antenna. Do you guys think it would be fine to solder to the existing one so that I wouldn't have to mess with configurations in openwrt if I decide to switch what antenna I am using? Do you think that it would weaken the signal at all?

@circutdust

Did you have an idea for a remote switch yet and just not implement it?

Have you been increasing the db output at all in openwrt?

• 4 months later...

Here is what I ended up creating. I soldered on a second antenna connector, which increases the signal strength when both antennas are attached. I put in a toggle switch for the battery pack. I also cut holes in the case so you could plug in a network cable and power cable. I wanted to use the case to store the fon router and battery in one and keep them from getting smashed in a bag. I also designed it so that it can be flexible: one or two antennas; batter or power supply; wireless or cat5.

Here is a link to my flickr pictures of it: http://www.flickr.com/photos/37252626@N04/sets/72157625535931958/

5235596610_22208e9157_z_d.jpg

• 3 years later...

I have been looking at ideas for a travel kit, but the problem is heat dispensation. Here in Oz it can get quite hot so I am doing a lot of design thinking and planning.

With regard to a power switch, you can either get a waterproof switch or follow the ideas used by those in the rc submarine community. Some models utilise a magentic switch. Using a magnet you turn the switch on or off

I have been looking at ideas for a travel kit, but the problem is heat dispensation. Here in Oz it can get quite hot so I am doing a lot of design thinking and planning.

With regard to a power switch, you can either get a waterproof switch or follow the ideas used by those in the rc submarine community. Some models utilise a magentic switch. Using a magnet you turn the switch on or off

Dude, the last post was 4 years ago.