Virtual Linux To Windows 7

joeypesci

One of my trusty Buffalo NAS drives died the other day Sad I say trusty but their fans have always be notorious for not spinning. I think that's what happened. The fan hadn't been spinning for a while but never fing e-mailed me the issue, even though I have them setup to e-mail me every day.

So I've removed the drive and it appears fine. Loaded up VMWare Workstation 7 and slapped Ubuntu on it. Plugged in the drive to a USB and can see it in ubuntu. Currently copying the files to the Ubuntu desktop.

Now with VMWare Workstation 7 I can copy from my main Windows 7 machine to any Windows VM desktop or BackTrack 4 and all copies over fine. Think I can copy back the other way as well.

However, how would I get the files off this Ubuntu desktop as it seems to not work with Ubuntu. I can't seem to copy directly over.

One of my trusty Buffalo NAS drives died the other day Sad I say trusty but their fans have always be notorious for not spinning. I think that's what happened. The fan hadn't been spinning for a while but never fing e-mailed me the issue, even though I have them setup to e-mail me every day.

So I've removed the drive and it appears fine. Loaded up VMWare Workstation 7 and slapped Ubuntu on it. Plugged in the drive to a USB and can see it in ubuntu. Currently copying the files to the Ubuntu desktop.

Now with VMWare Workstation 7 I can copy from my main Windows 7 machine to any Windows VM desktop or BackTrack 4 and all copies over fine. Think I can copy back the other way as well.

However, how would I get the files off this Ubuntu desktop as it seems to not work with Ubuntu. I can't seem to copy directly over.

I may be confused on what you are trying to do here. But why not boot from a live distro of Ubuntu or BackTrack (my personal fav) and copy the files directly from the USB drive to your NTFS volume? I see all these virtual machine copying you are doing as not needed.

I have a problem because I hate VM Ware, VirtualBox does not allow drag and drop copy like that from Guest to Host. So I have an FTP setup on my PC and transfer files that way. I also use the FTP for saving or getting files when I'm not home. FileZilla Server