Track A Stolen Laptop

will-wtf

Well I was recently stumbling the web and came across http://preyproject.com/

In hindsight there are probably many of these solutions available, but even so a free, open source laptop tracking facility? It's written in Bash so has practically no dependancies and is therefore very light weight.

Would you consider installing this to your computers? What other solutions are available out there for this?

Thanks,

Well I was recently stumbling the web and came across http://preyproject.com/

In hindsight there are probably many of these solutions available, but even so a free, open source laptop tracking facility? It's written in Bash so has practically no dependancies and is therefore very light weight.

Would you consider installing this to your computers? What other solutions are available out there for this?

Thanks,

It would certainly help you track down a missing laptop, but it may not be as effective as tracking device though. I mean what if the laptop gets formatted by the thief. But on the other hand, if it goes missing why not it could become very useful to tracking it down.

I've also found this article that describes how to retrieve a missing laptop, using other techiniques and a freeware software called Adeona

http://www.ehow.com/how_4500828_privately-...p-computer.html

Edited by Infiltrator

LoJack works great. Used to sell it with laptops when I worked at CompUSA. Had a customer come back in one time and told me that he was at starbucks, went to the bathroom and his laptop was gone. A couple hours later he got a call saying they found his laptop. It was at a flea market down the street :-D

http://www.absolute.com/products/lojackforlaptops

Prey looks OK, but I can't get it to work on my Macbook - the control site shows no devices, and times out adding a device. Looks like that's one program I won't be using.

According to their website it does not support Macs.

http://preyproject.com/

Edited by Infiltrator

OK that was interesting....

kind of pointless b/c if you didnt want them to format the laptop .... you'd need to leave it not password protected

... which is worse ? ... your data being stolen or the hardware ?

im saying data.

kind of pointless b/c if you didnt want them to format the laptop .... you'd need to leave it not password protected

im saying data.

That's why I would encrypt my drive with truecrypt.

prey is good i actually use it, but it has a lot of downsides. the fact that if there is no internet then you know nothing about your laptop. if it is encrypted then you know your data is safe but if they cant turn it on again you know nothing about where your computer is. also if they just reformat again your screwed.

That's why I would encrypt my drive with truecrypt.

you can get around truecrpyt.

im saying data.

you can get around logon password.

Edited by ParMan

prey is good i actually use it, but it has a lot of downsides. the fact that if there is no internet then you know nothing about your laptop. if it is encrypted then you know your data is safe but if they cant turn it on again you know nothing about where your computer is. also if they just reformat again your screwed.

you can get around truecrpyt.

you can get around logon password.

How can you get around if the whole volume is encrypted, you will certaintly need to know the password to get into the system.

I know one way would be breaking the encryption which could take a very long time to crack.

@parman lol read what i wrote c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y

... it doesnt matter if you can get around the login

what i said was to entice them into not formatting the drive you'd be best not setting a password

yes you could use truecrypt and a strong password .... but then the laptop would get formatted ... thus removing the tracking software unless it was somehow stored in the bios to reinstall automatically

futile just be careful where you use your laptop and buy a laptop combination lock if your that paranoid

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Deleted_Account
Err, no. (with the obvious exception of bruteforce, but that's where a good password comes in.)

Think he may be refering to the Keys in memory dump (old maid was it?) trick. Or one of those stupid scam sites that claim they can crack the AES-256 bit XTS encryption :P (in which all they do, if anything, is Brute force/dictionary attack it which with a strong 20 + alpha numeric pass would take years

• 3 weeks later...
Err, no. (with the obvious exception of bruteforce, but that's where a good password comes in.)

Google "Stoned Bootkit". Basically because the mbr isn't encrypted (even though the drive is) it can completely bypass full volume encryption and because it is based on konboot it bypasses the login as well.