Wireless Key Cracking|pen Test|asus K40in And Alpha Awus036h + 9dbi

iamwhatiam

Hi everybody, this is my first thread that requires suggestions or answers based on the following.

I am new to hak5 but not new to pen testing. I have been working on in for quite a while.

Well here it is,

I have a Asus k40in notebook ( with wireless network adapter as Atheros ar9285), bootable usb-persistent BT3 and BT4.

I would like to know if Apha AWUS036H + 9dBi would be the best pick for my pen test ( as far as i have searched the net , yes, Alpha has an unprecedented record of packet injection).

Well I also would like to know that if my notebook and the alpha adapter be perfectly compatible ? So that I could proceed with my testing.

I would request and be more happy if any user had tried working out with BT4 - Asus K40in - Alpha AWUS036H and let me know the results.

Your answers would be of great help to me.

I thank all the viewers and posters who'd like to let me know the result of the above.

There will be no issue with the laptop/adapter combination, so long as your laptop supports USB :P. The Realtek 8187B chipset of the Alfa is natively supported in both BT3 and BT4, so it is a matter of plugging it in before power-on and it will be loaded on boot. As far as I am aware there are no better alternatives to either the 1W or 500mW models of the Alfa.

Just bring up an ifconfig when using it, as I have found that BT tends to chop and change with what device ID it assigns to it. Sometimes both my internal and USB adapter get loaded, sometimes only the Alfa. Something to keep in mind if you are using scripting where you may hard-code the device ID.

There will be no issue with the laptop/adapter combination, so long as your laptop supports USB :P. The Realtek 8187B chipset of the Alfa is natively supported in both BT3 and BT4, so it is a matter of plugging it in before power-on and it will be loaded on boot. As far as I am aware there are no better alternatives to either the 1W or 500mW models of the Alfa.

^This

Do not make the mistake of getting the 2000mW version though. Many users have reported issues with it using BT due to the fact it uses a different chipset (afaik).