Python, Ruby, And Scripting

Risin247

Hey everyone,

Got some free time over the summer and I'm workin on my CISSP, but with a little free time I wanted to do some extra studing and learn somthing new. I've narrowed it down to just a few things.

• Python
  • Ruby
  • In Depth VB Scripting/ Windows Power Shell
  • Bash Scripting

For the two scripting ones Its more just getting professionally good at them. I started doing some basic python, but wasnt sure if ruby was a good way to go. I'm an IT security major and I've had a little experiance with Java and VB, but thought as far as being in the security field what other people might suggest.

Any thoughts?

To be quite honest, programming is moving away from more unmanaged code platforms, and towards a framework platform. So Python would be out. (as useful as it may be.) Ruby is just garbage stacked on top of other garbage. This is not needed in the real world, and anyone running this, I ask you to change. In depth Visual Basic is currently the standard in programming classes around the country, and would be a nice look over. Windows power shell is just not as needed anymore. Bash scripting is always fun! If I had time (because I already know vb in depth) I would check this out. Of the two, any would be fine. It's really down to choice anyways.

To be quite honest, programming is moving away from more unmanaged code platforms, and towards a framework platform. So Python would be out. (as useful as it may be.) Ruby is just garbage stacked on top of other garbage. This is not needed in the real world, and anyone running this, I ask you to change. In depth Visual Basic is currently the standard in programming classes around the country, and would be a nice look over. Windows power shell is just not as needed anymore. Bash scripting is always fun! If I had time (because I already know vb in depth) I would check this out. Of the two, any would be fine. It's really down to choice anyways.

The correct choice of language is the language that is best suited for the task at hand.

Writing a application server? C++, just about every time.

Writing a game? C++, it's fast.

Writing a primitive database client application? Visual Basic or Java.

Writing a cross-platform networkable client? Probably Java, may be C++.

Writing a simple system administration program? Bash, Python, Ruby, Perl, any of them really.

Writing a virus? Visual basic.

Writing a well written virus? C++.

Writing a website? Good luck finding a language that doesn't have problem.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in the same boat as you :)

recently started learning python just by tackling some project euler problems and just struggling through them.

starting out by just reading the first 2 chapters in a python text book and then just start writing code - if I get stuck i just look it up and continue. Python is fun, easy, and I'm learning a lot this way I recommend it - even just for educational purposes.

http://projecteuler.net/