Tracking Down Ip Address Locations With Wireshark And Geoip

Infiltrator

Hi Everyone,

I think some of you will find this tool very useful for tracking down a geographical location of an ip address. I just wanted to share this with you guys

http://securitytube.net/Setting-up-GeoIP-t...hark-video.aspx

Thank you

Infiltrator

But I think the wireshark version gives you a more definitive location of the ip address. For instance if you are war driving that could potentially give the physical address where the wireless signal is coming from.

http://samy.pl/mapxss/ would be better when wardriving.

Nice one!

But I think the wireshark version gives you a more definitive location of the ip address. For instance if you are war driving that could potentially give the physical address where the wireless signal is coming from.

Wireshark isnt a GPS. Geo-locating only gives you the rough vicinity within the city area of the ISP. Without a GPS you cant really do triangulation(which requires more surveying of the area in question anyway from different points around the radius of the target in question), and even then your only guessing a ballpark vicinity of about 150-300 feet radius. Unluess your near a house or building by itself with the only signal, you wouldnt need a GPS at all then to figure out where it is coming from.

To see what I mean, plug your IP address into any geo locating website and you'll see you only get the town or city area you live in, if even that at all since sometimes the ISP can be in a different town all together, and not label your area correctly in its router coverage. You might come up as a town or 2 away from where you actually live.

Edited by digip

I just looked at that mapxss thingy.

As stated on the site, the provided actual location of the device and the guesstimated location are about 10 miles apart. I don't see how this is useful when wardriving.

When I use ip2location on my own IP address, I get a location in The Hague. Presumably where my ISP is at, but almost 100 miles from where I actually live.

Edited by Cooper

I guess I was bit carried away when I watched that video about wireshark and geoIP. I guess getting the actual physical location of the wireless access point, can only be as good as with a GPS installed to your computer.

Edited by Infiltrator