This Can't Be True. Packet Sniffing On Car Ecu's

Mad Pierre

LOL well yeah. - Wait's till someone does the speed film for real LOL

thats not really that funny.

something this could be used for law enforcement. just think about all the high speed chases that end in crashes or death of innocent people. instead they could just shutdown the persons car when they are getting pulled over.

something this could be used for law enforcement. just think about all the high speed chases that end in crashes or death of innocent people. instead they could just shutdown the persons car when they are getting pulled over.

Or they could just discreetly follow the perps and grab them when they need to fill the tank ...

but nooooo, why waste a chance to be a movie-cop and start a high-speed chase in populated areas ..

It's a lot sexier than auditing the books of the banksters .

But this really isn't surprising, most computer-equipment in commercial applications is built

on a trust-model, ie the different pieces of hardware "trust" each other .

Well, no "security-expert" likes "trust" .

I saw a video a while back, when one of those car alarm systems (that can track where the car is at) demonstrated the remote shutdown during a police chaise... They basically shut down everything except for breaks and steering wheel.

I saw a video a while back, when one of those car alarm systems (that can track where the car is at) demonstrated the remote shutdown during a police chaise... They basically shut down everything except for breaks and steering wheel.

OnStar can do that now if it is activated on the car.

Guest Deleted_Account

I saw this on the TV show "Jacked" on showcase (in canada at least) The police planted a car with keys in the ignition waiting for someone to take it. When they did the police could not only track it but also stop, slow down, and lock the car! More chases should be done with something like this. Although as soon as it was widely implemented by police people would find a way to negate it.

Did any of you read the article? It requires a cable attached to the obdii port. Trust me, you're going to notice the thing that's now sticking out by your knees. I know they make bluetooth models now, but I'm not sure of the range, probably not that far.

Won't work of my R5 GTT when I get one.

Yes, it will. That car has a obdii port as well.

I wouldn't be surprised if Onstar worked wether you're paying for it or not.

Edited by barry99705

• 1 month later...

Seems there was a case where the gom't 'backdoored' the onstar to listen in to conversations

of the occupants. Problem was, well, aside from possible illegal 'wiretapping' the vehicle safety

systems were compromised, airbags or anti-lock brakes were not up snuff when this wiretapping

took place.

http://news.cnet.com/FBI-taps-cell-phone-m..._3-6140191.html

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=57331

Edited by Ron

I wouldn't be surprised if Onstar worked wether you're paying for it or not.

The OnStar system uses a proprietary protocol that communicates to their satellites from an antenna integrated into the veichel's over-all design. The antennas are typically quite subtle.

Anyways, if you had a way to intercept and modify these signals, (possibly with a jammer that also emits whatever signal you desire), you could likely attack ALL cars within a certain radius that use the OnStar protocol.

To my knowledge, this data is NOT encrypted, at all, in older models. Could be a massive security flaw that could seriously wreak some havoc!

About the active subscription comment;

OnStar doesn't accept signals from cars without an active subscription to their service. The packets simply drop, they don't even bother returning a signal to tell the user that the service is not active.

You can tap into this through the Comm port as well, getting GPS data, car diagnostic details, and the like.