Android Os 1.6 ?

Trip

I tried my best to get a motorolla android but orange dont supply them so ... i just ordered an xperia x10

i've been watching some video's on the sony x10 they all say it runs droid v1.6 and the current version is 2.0

will this affect me in any way when i start to develop apps for it ?

and another question

can any one tell me why the android os is superior to the iphone os ? (in terms of features/specifications/pros/cons)

any help / advice / words of any sort appreciated

Safe

DrTrip

Very good questions.

1. You don't even have to have a phone to 'develop' apps for it, since you can test it in the Android for Eclipse emulator, however, for a more solid testing ground you should have a phone to test it on. Use a friend's phone maybe? Even though the phone comes with 1.6, 2.1 IS on the way, just maybe quite a while longer to get here than it should be.... Also you have to remember that MOST Android phones on the market are still running 1.6 (I have a Hero so I fall in the same category) So if you wanna just develop for 1.6 now, and port to 2.1 later, that is still a viable yet profitable option.

2. There is no superiority for either phone. They are on the same plane period. One does a certain set of things better and vice versa, but the margin of what they do better is only hear say, and it's only for what you like. If you wanna I-phone, fine go get one, if you wanna ride with us on Android, then hop on :P

Cheers in your endeavour.

btw, if you need help with setup, links to tutorials and etc, holla @ me.

Ahh, welcome to Android fragmentation hell. I upgraded my HTC Hero, which has been stuck on 1.5 (HTC might update it to 2.1 in June), to a Nexus one which will be getting 2.2 in a week or so. The problem with the heavily customised Android phones is that they are usually running older versions of the OS and the updates take much, much longer to arrive.

The long a short of it, unless you root your phone and deal with the somewhat precarious nature of custom ROMs for android phones, you are stuck on whatever the manufacturer provides. In your case, Sony are planning to do a 2.1 update in Q4, 2010, but this is a vague date. If your happy with your phone as it is, then while you will miss out on some of the newer features, and a large chunk of apps are only being developed for 2.x currently, it will be better than whatever you had.

The main reason I got a Nexus One is so I could be at the bleeding edge of Android development despite the Desire being a technically better device. I am tempted to advise you to unlock and sell your X10, and do the same, but this isn't cheap.

As for iPhone vs Android? iPhone hardware is technically better than most Android handsets, its a more popular platform and easier to use than Android. Android is more flexible, and far more hacker friendly the the iPhone, and devices like the N1 & Desire are nicer than a 3GS imho. If you want to make money, develop for the iPhone, if you want to do it for fun and learning, maybe making a little bit of cash, then Android all the way. Plus, Steve Jobs is a cunt, this may factor into your thinking. ;)

thanks guys i got it today ... gonna spend the next few days learning the phone

then a couple of weeks studying java lol

i've developed alot for vb.net but this is my first time with java ... any pointers ?

... pretty chuffed with the phone tho tbh :D

def have a few ideas for apps but this is a whole new territory ill let u know how it goes ... is there anyone else on the forum developing any droid apps ?

***Supplimental Pre-Wet Bible***

http://android-beginners.googlegroups.com/...book.pdf?part=4 <-I highly recommend you read THIS FIRST! Because it does explain a hell of a lot that I had to unearth myself (still can't put the damn pdf file down :P)

***Setup/Starting Ground***

Android Developer SDK/Tutorial/Setup

Eclipse GDE

***Tutorials***

Android Programming Tutorials

http://developer.android.com/index.html

http://androidforums.com/android-developers/

HAPPY PROGIN'! :)

I am about to forgo my own venture into android development. Mainly I want to make a program that implements GPS, Depth and Wall finding, and RUNNING FROM ZOMBIES!!! Heh. Sounds pretty crzy but I would love to play it... If I ever make it. There is a game called Zombie Run! but it's top down, not 3d and it's just not that um... fun.

ALSO* +1 to VaKo, Steve is in fact a cunt of mammoth proportions, and Java is not that bad at all. If you know C++, you know Java, and if you know xml, well then hell, you probably don't even really need a tutorial! :X

Edited by h3%5kr3w

http://twitter.com/sprint/status/13982006289

"Android 2.1 now available for Samsung Moment! Details and instructions here - http://bit.ly/bfOw9j. Hero users, you're up next!

about 14 hours ago via CoTweet

sprint"

ZoMg would the wait finally be over? Will HTC finally deliver on the goods of updating the poor hero? Find out next time, on the same bat time, same bat channel!

Edited by h3%5kr3w

* note to self and anyone else new to andriod *

remember to switch off 3g if you dont have and unlimited data tariff as i woke up this morning and found all my credit had been rinsed :(

Yeah, word to the wise. DO NOT BUY OR USE AN IPHONE OR ANDROID HANDSET WITHOUT A DATA PLAN. PAYG is fine for voice and texts, but with most networks the data tariffs are shite.

Yeah man definitely watch yourself with that!

Also remember that being an android phone, every little extra widget you have on your screen and every little web 2.0 program on it in the background will suck away that data usage like it's no tomorrow.

I would try to get a plan with it man. I happen to be on the only U.S. carrier to offer unlimited data usage (with no cap)

yeah im trying to get a good sim only deal atm

i disabled 3g and my credit seems to be intact :D

going to start developing something for it soon ... but tbh there are soooooo many apps

im going to have to think carefully to produce something unique

Edited by Trip

* note to self and anyone else new to andriod *

remember to switch off 3g if you dont have and unlimited data tariff as i woke up this morning and found all my credit had been rinsed :(

Heh, you can't even get a "smart phone" without a data plan in the US.

im on pay as you go (this is my business number)

... need to transfer this to a contract sim ... but i can buy data allowance when i top up :D so its all good

and on another note i got the SDK & IDE up and running & managed to get hellodroid running in the emulator

havnt tried to run any code on my phone yet but will keep you lot updated ;)

Edited by Trip

cooking with gas ... :D

& making toast (for those that know what android toast is lol)

got my functions working now ... was putting them in the wrong place *roll eyes* typical

Edited by Trip

• 2 weeks later...

I'll be posting my VERY DETAILED AND COMPLETE how to on rooting most android phones and adding a rom (focused on the hero, and for most hero's not just for sprint heros.) here very soon.

I'm runnin' BitterSweet v12 (2.1 rom) oooohhh yeahhh :)

btw, yes I know there as like 10000000x tutorials out there but not a damn one of them are complete..

Edited by h3%5kr3w

Phone contract is up for renewal in the UK with vodafone so I'm gonna get myself a shiny new android! Porbably the desire but maybe the Nexus One. To be honest I'm still researching , the pluses for the N1 being V2T, noise cancellation ,3g support in US and obvious quicker updates. The pluses for the Desire being the sense GUI and the multitouch which the N1 doesn't have, technically a bit more advanced.

I have seen the HTC Incredible which looks great but alas is not available in the UK.

Could anyone inthe UK advise me what sort of limit I need for the data plan?

i heard they're updating it soon to 2.2 :)

hopefully we'll get some multi-touch action soon too

apparently all the functions for multi touch are included on all android devices but they have left the drivers out

i wonder if this is because of apples patents ? ... and google are waiting for someone to write one (so google cant get into trouble with apple)