Where To Go To View An Unknown Webcam

NegativeSpace

I was at a public park the other day and I saw a camera mounted on a stadium light pole. I have a feeling that the camera is a webcam, but it might be a closed circuit security camera. If it is a security camera, it's probably not very effective because it's the only camera for 4 full size soccer fields. and a 200 car parking lot. My question is, if this is a webcam, what method is effective at locating the URL? that will allow me to view the cameras picture? I already tried using the "website" for the park, but it's pretty much useless, looks like it was designed and built by America Online software and it's owned by the city Parks and Recreation department. I also tried a few webcam search engines but the ones I tried were pretty useless also.

I was at a public park the other day and I saw a camera mounted on a stadium light pole. I have a feeling that the camera is a webcam, but it might be a closed circuit security camera. If it is a security camera, it's probably not very effective because it's the only camera for 4 full size soccer fields. and a 200 car parking lot. My question is, if this is a webcam, what method is effective at locating the URL? that will allow me to view the cameras picture? I already tried using the "website" for the park, but it's pretty much useless, looks like it was designed and built by America Online software and it's owned by the city Parks and Recreation department. I also tried a few webcam search engines but the ones I tried were pretty useless also.

Is there any wireless signal you can see around the stadium, or do you they provide WIFI internet access at all.

Edited by Infiltrator

Is there any wireless signal you can see around the stadium, or do you they provide WIFI internet access at all.

I actually didn't even check for any radio signals, but I'll be going back there this weekend for my nephews soccer game and I'll check to see what's out there. I didn't have a laptop handy until after we had left the parking lot and were half mile away from the camera, but at that time, i did detect about 40 or so WiFi signals, one being an ad-hoc network. I don't know if an ad-hoc might be used for such an application, but if that happened to be the network for that camera, it would have had a very strong signal. It was an unsecured network so maybe that is a good sign. There probably isn't any public WiFi in the park though, if any at all. If this cameras feed is being transmitted, I think that it would probably be hard wired to the small building that it's near and then transmitted form there, but I'm pretty sure that the little building only has light switches and electrical service panels inside. I will find out if there is any WiFi closer to the camera this weekend.

Edited by NegativeSpace

If it is a web cam, it will probably be tied into a municipal network, and not exposed to the internet in a manner you can access.

If it's tied into a municipal network, it's pretty likely that it would be pretty easy to access, considering the fact that the police station and court house WiFi networks aren't even secured. Maybe they have more than one network, with the unsecured one being the one that the cops use for personal stuff. Anyway, I don't think that there is a dedicated network available to the resources in the park. There wouldn't be much use for it there, since there are presumably only a few cameras (I've only ever seen one), and no buildings where computers could be kept and used. The only electronic equipment in the park are all of the stadium lights, some street lights for the roads, and the one camera. The city only has about 45,000 people, and I don't see the park having the budget to upgrade the infrastructure to support a real network since it wouldn't have much use for one. I know that the city has cameras mounted on stadium lights on the side of the interstate that are public web cameras, maybe the soccer field camera is the same way.

Even if there is a wireless signal somewhere they could have disabled the SSID to prevent people from trying to connect to it, but again you could use Kismet to scan for non broadcasting SSIDs and who knows you might even be able to discover it.