Jump to content

Windows Troubles (activation)


Recommended Posts

My LEGAL copy of Windows XP was on a computer that died, so I moved the hard drive from one computer to another. It is now requiring activation, and is not giving me the normal 30 days to do so because I have already used it for more than 30 days. I cannot activate over the internet because that computer has no connection, and cannot use the provided telephone numbers because they no longer work. On the Microsoft site the only meathod it gives for contact on this issue is to run the the process and get the number from my computer, which still will give me a several year old number. Any help or work-arounds would be welcomed.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is what happens when DRM falls out of support (and people who obtained the software illegally never have to worry about it).

However, I think the XP phone activation service does still work, I used it a month or two ago, but obviously this might have changed in this time, but Microsoft say that they still have support for XP until July.

It's not giving doing the 30 day 'trial' because it's not a new installation, it's an old installation that has been moved to new hardware.

If you can't connect the computer to the internet or call Microsoft, all you can do is buy a copy of 7 and hope that works.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If it doesn't have a connection to the internet, get an ethernet cable and plug it in, that should work right?

If Windows has the driver for it yes, if it doesn't, you might be able to use safe mode to install it, but I'm not sure about that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

this is where you pull the data then pull a geek squad and wipe and reload it if you cant fix it in 30 min.

Well it depends. If the copy of Windows is a OEM that came with the original computer from some one like Dell or HP or similar, it is impossible to reinstall on a different computer (the installer will only let you run it on the original hardware).

Other wise, you can just do a regular reinstall and go from there and get the 30 day trial.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just ring MS, activation takes about 10 mins tops, 90% of the time I deal with an voice recording, the other 10% they transfer me to an call center.

"Why are you activating again?"

"PC Died"

"How many times have you activated before?"

"This will be the second"

"How many computers or laptops is this running on?"

"Just this one PC"

"Ok, I am not validating your code, please be ready to enter the following five digit string in block A, I will read them five blocks at a time and the cursor will automatically skip to the next block"

... I've done it a lot :P

Link to comment
Share on other sites

or if he had an oem box theres a cd key on the side easy or use something like ProduKey to grab the key eather in save mode or useing another computer to host the drive.

if you need a copy let me know i am not sure if the file is still around or not but i believe its free you just point it at the windows folder on the drive you want the key off of.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just ring MS, activation takes about 10 mins tops, 90% of the time I deal with an voice recording, the other 10% they transfer me to an call center.

"Why are you activating again?"

"PC Died"

"How many times have you activated before?"

"This will be the second"

"How many computers or laptops is this running on?"

"Just this one PC"

"Ok, I am not validating your code, please be ready to enter the following five digit string in block A, I will read them five blocks at a time and the cursor will automatically skip to the next block"

... I've done it a lot :P

i have had to do this a lot my self... (spent 5-7 years in a computer repair shop and more doing it on my own.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One though I think people have prehaps missed here, regardless of OEM etc it would appear he doesn't need his product key? Windows is installed and working, all its asking for is activation, most likely because the HAL layer has changed? If online activation isn't working (e.g. its not making a connection) then he'll have to ring MS to activate, else if its failing it will ask him to enter a new product code (which would indicate to me that he has OEM Windows)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One though I think people have prehaps missed here, regardless of OEM etc it would appear he doesn't need his product key? Windows is installed and working, all its asking for is activation, most likely because the HAL layer has changed? If online activation isn't working (e.g. its not making a connection) then he'll have to ring MS to activate, else if its failing it will ask him to enter a new product code (which would indicate to me that he has OEM Windows)

true, but if he cant get it activated i gave him another option.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The reason the phone will not work is because the numbers are 6-10 years old. I have already tried bying a network card, but I still did not have the driver. I have no way to install the driver, because it will not let me use safe mode. I believe that this is OEM, my dad says it is not, but I cannot find install disks anywhere. (If it is any help I have a CMD before logon, because I replaced sticky keys with CMD for convienance. No I am not worried about the risk to the security.)

Does anyone know of another way to get ahold of Windows activation over phone, because the number I have does not work. Is it possible to pull it off another computer with XP? (This one is Vista :-(, but I have VMWare.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

here is my two penny's worth , basically removing a hard drive from one machine to another (as far as windows is concerned) is not a good idea , the reason it is asking for activation is windows has detected hardware changes (normally large ones) and it thinks it is being used on more than one machine - because it is (well sort of) - and as your windows licence is for 1 machine.... you might be able to boot from a 'live-cd' with some form of activation cracking however I still stick with my first statement this is not a good idea , because it will still have hardware drivers from the other machine and most likely won't pick up the new ones very easily (without a good push) and the chances of a BSOD are very high. If the hardware is similar i.e. the same model laptops this does help this situation. So to be honest although it's not impossible to move a hard drive with windows on it from one machine to another the best situation is to obtain a live cd from somewhere for instance ubuntu (it's free and will work fine) backup your important data get hold of a copy of windows - same version you had - i.e home or pro and use your licence to re-install your PC , if it's just being used on 1 machine , no problems...

Edited by jobdone
Link to comment
Share on other sites

just to add another point , I have read somewhere that if your computer has no connection to the internet , it will not give you 30 days to activate , if you have a network card and can get it installed through safe mode and connected to our router etc.., this option seems to become available again..

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...