[Version 1] Mbed - Potentally The Ultimate Rudu

Has anyone else looked into the mbed dev board?? B)

Looking at its specs there is little it would not be able to do. - the most pertinent points from a RuDu point of view are:

1. Fast

2. Has on board Flash mem so you could more convincingly disguise it as an "innocent" UFD (already appears as a UFD when you plug it in)

3. Has on board Flash mem so you can store all your acquired data.

4. Has ready built in ports for most things including Ethernet (ultimatly combined with a small wifi module,- just think!..mmm...control from the master computer.... though it might be so big now you have to dress it up as a 2.5 usb harddrive)

5. It already has a big blue LED built in!

- Of course this depends on the code to make it appear as a HID, something on the lines of This Project. I could go on but the point is, with work being so manic lately, covering the politics and volcanic ash, I wont have time to do much development myself so at least here is a heads up for a very promising device.

[ed] I see reading other posts other people are already looking into wifi but I think lack of teensy cpu power will quickly become an issue.

Edited by manouche

Programs are written in C/C++ with an online compiler - this means whatever flavour of machine/os you use (Windows, Linux, Mac) you'll always have the latest version of the software on your desktop without any installation worries.

This may be me having a bit of a blonde moment but do they still offer you the tools to do everything locally or are they using some proprietary system that builds everything on their servers via a web interface?. Its ARM based so it should be fairly open but I don't like the idea of them getting a copy of any code I were to write.

This may be me having a bit of a blonde moment but do they still offer you the tools to do everything locally or are they using some proprietary system that builds everything on their servers via a web interface?. Its ARM based so it should be fairly open but I don't like the idea of them getting a copy of any code I were to write.

I dont think you have to use their compiler maybe xduino.com will work or gnuarm.com. Good point though I will ask before ordering. As I say sorry I havent gone into it that far yet cause I need at least 24 hours that I know will be uninterrupted before I even think of devoting much time to such projects. (The only reason I can browse the internet and lurk forums is I have legitimate stretches of dead time waiting for the next frenetic period of panic followed by another bout of boredom).