Gates plan to leave in 2008

kainchick

Microsoft honcho and worlds richest man Bil Gates has left his position as chief software architect, and plans to phase out his chairman duties over the next two years. By June of 2008, Gates will have left the company he co-founded with Paul Allen to pursue his global charity efforst via the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. "Just as Microsoft has taken off in way I never expected," explained Gates, "so has the work for the foundation." The foundation focuses on education and health issues.

Microsofts cheif technical officer Ray Ozzie will assume Gates' cheif software architect role, and will work with gates on the transition. Even before the accouncemtn, the company was battling th efalling price of its stock, the rise of Google, and numerious delys to the release of its Windows Vista Operating system.

I'm not quite sure how old this is, but I found the article in my Latest issue of Game informer. Thought it was an intersting article.

I have no issues with the man and what he is going to be doing with his money will help a lot of people so I wish him luck with whatever he does.

I would probably spend his money on plans for world domination but hay it’s his money.

Bill Gates is a wonderufl smart guy. His company jst makes shitty operating systems. What he is trying to do to better the world is tremendous. Im glad hes doing what he is doing.

bill gates isnt a wonderfully smart guy, he most likly cant code for shit, which would explain why he didnt code ms-dos or any other of the OS's at microsoft for that matter. The only thing he is smart at is marketting his product.

Microsoft has done two good things,

1) set a bunch of standard formats

2) released the 360 year(s) before the PS3

I think you ment to say:

1) set a bunch of propriotary formats so you are locked in to there products for life

even though thats clearly a bad thing.

You do (or not if you don't want to publicly) have to admit that they did something right though.

They (Bill Gates) sold his product(s) very well and as a result they lead the world in OSen and spreadsheet and document programs REGARDLESS of quality or not.

Microsoft have had a sleezy buisness modle from the start. Most of which consided of paying other companys to pre-install windows on computers they where selling. As a result now it's almost a given that any computer you buy prebuilt will come with windows becasue of the eirly sleez that Microsoft used. The end result of that is that companys that make software usualy make it only for windows simpley becasue they want the biggest posible audiance with minimal effot. This is the other part of Microsofts Sleezy buisness, removing any competition by making third party software vendors only make software that peopel want for windows, the same gose for hardware manurfacturers and driver vendors.

Microsoft have, from the software point of view, done very few things right. The only thing they did right was relative ease of use. I say relative becasue when (not if) windows stops working it can be a nightmare to fix, as can any OS, but windows is just more likly to stop working in the first place.

Its funny, if Microsoft hadn't of standadized computers to make them a mass produce comodity product, we wouldn't have the open source movement because computers would have never been accesible to begin with. And anyone who used windows for gaming before directX remebers the nightmare that was.

Fact of the matter is, Microsoft made a good product, marketed it well but fucked up the internet bit back in the mid-90's when they did IE4. I think the invisionod a walled garden approach to the net instead of a wild west idea.

Its funny, if Microsoft hadn't of standadized computers to make them a mass produce comodity product, we wouldn't have the open source movement because computers would have never been accesible to begin with. And anyone who used windows for gaming before directX remebers the nightmare that was.

Fact of the matter is, Microsoft made a good product, marketed it well but fucked up the internet bit back in the mid-90's when they did IE4. I think the invisionod a walled garden approach to the net instead of a wild west idea.

Some one would have done this if Microsoft hadden't. Most likly to have been either Novell with there desktop OS or Sun with there Solaris OS. Both of which are technicly better then windows. Of the two I suspect Novell would have won as they where pushing there network OSs (both Client and server) befor Microsoft had windows 1 out the door and so alredy had a fair amount of the market.

you cant forget mac, they had the desktop os out before microsoft had it. So really what has microsft brought to the computer world apart from standard's that force you to buy the products, products that are so buggy noone can stand them but yet are forced to use them, and an OS that has more bugs then any other OS on the market?

iv never heard that. BUt it doesnt sound like it was considering the mac OS works "back to front" (if you want to look at it that way) to the pc. Which would require extra software to get the instructions in the right order.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mac_OS_history

says that it was based of the Lisa OS. unless that was based on ms-dos then you could say yeh. But it doesnt really matter seeing as microsoft didnt code ms-dos anyway.

Uh, no. MacOS NEVER ran on DOS. Although I don't particularly enjoy their choice of kernel right now, it's still better than anything under windows =. All that can be said about Bill Gates was that he was a brilliant social engineer, and had a great talent for stealing a company's money and resources then leaving them to go on and make widely used but overall shitty products.