Hacking HEB (and other big stores)

careless223

This idea struck me today after I went shopping. All through the time that I was there was some very irritating music playing over the sound system. I wanted to tune it to my audio stream (courtsey of episode 5) to listen to my own music while I was there instead of Christina Aguilera.

Does anyone know if the stores have computer to play their music and ads or if they are just a radio station?

Has anyone ever heard of or attempted anything like this before?

it depends, if you hear a local DJ over the radio, then you can jam the radio, or even better, transmit your own stuff. If it "Wall-Mart TV" or "Target radio" then no, it is all pre-recorded. If they are playing it on a computer, and if the store has a wireless network, then if they are conected, then theretily it is posible to "borrow" their store's pa.

Yes the store that I am looking at has a wireless network for customers to connect to when they sit there to drink their coffee in the morning. The network uses WEP encryption. Easy to crack. Not a problem.

The store has no DJ or any other radio station so it is probably from a PC or if not that just a CD player.

Does anyone who works at a store know anything about the systems used?

9 times out of 10 its a proprietory CD with hours of crap using to horreduslly lossy compression that uses a catridge CD case thingy. This is in an office somewhere out back. Newer stores might just download the new jingles and play them, but i'd doubt they'd use wireless when they have a perfectly good PA system wired in already.

Most small shops will use a simple hi-fi with a CD playing in it. Bigger chain stores often now have their own 'radio' station for all their stores so they can tune in accross the internet.

But I really don't see the point in this exercise, even if they have a wireless network you are unlikely to be able to find and start controlling the feed.

Just go and buy yourself a MP3 player and listen to that when you shop.

I'm not sure about other stores, but when I used to work at Staples we just had an ancient looking quad tape deck that went through all 4 tapes.

I only worked there for 6 months, but I was very sick of the whole 15 tapes we had by the time I left :roll:

Most small shops will use a simple hi-fi with a CD playing in it. Bigger chain stores often now have their own 'radio' station for all their stores so they can tune in accross the internet.

But I really don't see the point in this exercise, even if they have a wireless network you are unlikely to be able to find and start controlling the feed.

But this is so much more fun!

Breaking the law is illegal.

This makes illigal activity leagal, right :-)

I work ata restaurant. Ive worked at like 3 total my entire life. 1 of them used a tape. The other 2, including the one I work at now has satelite radio. That is the way alot of places do it. A grocery store I worked at had that as well. My current job plays the hits of the 50s.

You have no technolust.

Buying an MP3 player is for noobs.

How about the DIY mp3 player?

This is a bigger store so they might have the internet radio stream.

No way to replace this with your own stream?

You have no technolust.

I'm just realistic, I'm not going to spend time in a store when I don't have to, so that for the 5 mins that I have to be in the store to do my shopping and I can listen to music I like over all the people talking loudly and the babies crying.

With an MP3 player you get better sound quality, can change what you are listening to at anytime, and listen to it on the way to and from the store.

Much better idea. That way I can put my time into more productive exercises.

And its up to you whether you want to build your own MP3 player, I would do that if I could find a system that I could buy that was flexible.

9 times out of 10 its a proprietory CD with hours of crap using to horreduslly lossy compression that uses a catridge CD case thingy. This is in an office somewhere out back. Newer stores might just download the new jingles and play them, but i'd doubt they'd use wireless when they have a perfectly good PA system wired in already.

this has been my experience

I know that for instance Pep-Boys uses a network to transfer all music to all stores at the same time. Over their company network. It's called Pep-Boys radio, with Pep-Boys commercials. I used to work there a life-time ago.

I doubt there's a way to get into that or like systems...

Yeah they use wireless with encryption of some sort... google it I'm sure it's there somewhere.

I don't think they send their SID out... something like ethereal or airsnort would find it fine... some linux distro would be the best