Disabling Group Policy Restricted Action Pop-ups

Hi All,

I used to be a member of the forums and watch Hak5 religiously but slowly got distracted with other commitments, mainly trying to get a job. Recenltly though I've been coming back and started watching all the missed episodes. I ran into a problem that stumped me at work today, so I figured why not come back to one of the places where I learnt a lot. So I'm wondering if anyone would be able to help me with this one.

I'm securing a Win7 machine to run IE in kiosk mode using local group policy. The only problem I have is when the user tries to do something that is restricted (eg close IE) a pop-up error comes up informing them "This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator.".

Does anyone know a way for these messages to be disabled ?

A friend of mine suggested I try disabling windows error messages through the registry, this however didn't work. The key I changed was HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Windows\ErrorMode to 2.

Any help or ideas are greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Edited by dodgypuzzles

Most group policy messages are automatic if the setting is disabled or changed. For instance, when you disable regedit, you automatically get a message to the effect of "This has been disabled by your administyrator" or something to that effect any tim eyou try to launch it. Short of a 3rd party addon, I'm not sure there are ways around this to suppress the messages. Maybe a registry setting, but I've not heard of one before that suppresses Group Policy messages.

Now, I dont think disabling UAC would help in this instance either since its a windows msg box from a group policy, which I think always show up when trying to do something disabled by an administrator, but you could try turning off UAC to see of that helps. One other thing is to look into the action center, see if you can disable messages all together. If its a kiosk, its not like you will need to be notified for every update or message on the system.

About the only thing I know you can block are the baloon tips in the systray.

Or if you know the administrator password you could disable the local group policy on that particular PC temporary, by going into gpedit.msc.

Or if you know the administrator password you could disable the local group policy on that particular PC temporary, by going into gpedit.msc.

I think the group policy is part of what is locking it down as a kiosk with certain functions removed. Or I might be mistaken. :) Either way, I dont think you can disable it short of removing the policy, and for what he is doing, that could mean a security issue.

I think the group policy is part of what is locking it down as a kiosk with certain functions removed. Or I might be mistaken. :) Either way, I dont think you can disable it short of removing the policy, and for what he is doing, that could mean a security issue.

Sorry I misread the question. I dont think that is not possible to remove the Message. Its part of the group policy.

Edited by Infiltrator

• 2 months later...
is there a way of preventing the app from being shudown, disabling the X in the top right or alike ?

I am pretty sure there is a way to disable the X button, without displaying any message. But will need to look into that a bit more.

Edit: I think I have found it, its called NoClose

http://www.donationcoder.com/Software/Skro...ose/NoClose.exe

Edited by Infiltrator