SUGGESTION: More Linux Content

justintime32

I would have posted this in the Suggestions forum, but that one is off limits right now.

I absolutely LOVE Hak.5, although it seems that everything is centered around Windows. I like how you guys always try to suggest software that will accomplish the same task on other operating systems, but it would be really cool if you guys could do a segment on Linux or OS X occasionally. Due to the nature of the show, it seems like there would be a decent audience percentage not using Windows. If you do take my advice, I'd request showing off Xgl for the first segment.

Even if you decide not to, keep up the good work. Can't wait for the second season!

Blah blah blah.

You use what's available to you, and what the masses out there have access to. The goal of the show is not to evangelise any OS. It's to introduce people to novel (uses of) technology they may not have been aware of. It's to intice people to try it out for themselves. And like it or not, most people out there still use Windows. Yes, it's worth while to point out what Linux/Mac programs can be used to get the same net effect, but if you want the majority of the people who watch the show to be able to give some tech a go, you need to demonstrate its use using Windows where possible.

I think maybe if you guys you know showed off some live distros or did a short install segment something like that. Maybe get more people started into linux. Then as the season progressed you could get into some more in depth linux hacks. Would be interesting for some of the more advanced crowd. :) :) 8) 8)

If I were an advanced Linux user I wouldn't really be interested in seeing a segment on installing the flavor of the month, or trying out XYZ live CD.

However, if we do a segment on say, recovering passwords, we'll mention ways in which Linux comes in handy.

I guess what I'm trying to say is we focus on the action and not the tool. We try to keep things balanced. I think in 2x01 is the first time we actually "show off" a program of sorts, but even then it's kind of a cool uber cross platform kinda thing. So yeah, 2x01, will include Linux and even a mac, but not just for the sake of using them.

They do, and they have. They showed how to install osx on a pentium processor. They use any number of linux live cds to hack passwords, and such. Harrison cracked into darrens computer using a copy of slax, or was it whax, or was it knoppix, or was it whoppix? All of these have been used on the show before. Jen Cutter did a cool segment with linux, and i believe I saw a gentoo box on a teaser pic for season 2. Darren simply knows windows inside and out. While yes there are a number of us who are linux junkies, I dont think there is a user among this community that doesnt have a windows box.

I dont think there is a user among this community that doesnt have a windows box.

BZZZZZZZZRT! Thought wrong.

oooovaaavooo! wrong again!...ooh aint i 'l33t'? ;)

actually that is pretty leet and to be honest i'm kinda jealous. i mean, if it werent for the fact that i have to support a windows network for my job, or have the need to run windows only programs for content authoring, i'd totally be rid of windows. the fact that you can says a lot about where linux is as a desktop os, and about you. mad props to all that have thrown off the shackles of expensive proprietary operating systems.

If I were an advanced Linux user I wouldn't really be interested in seeing a segment on installing the flavor of the month, or trying out XYZ live CD.

Already been done -- SystemTrash podcast

http://www.systemtrash.com

There's also The Source Show, although releases are slow. I've been planning and doing demos with a few friends on a Linux-only video podcast as well.