DNS tweak, good or bad?

VaKo

Since NTL, my isp has a terribile DNS service, i decided to google some more public DNS servers to use as static backup DNS services in my router.

So i'm now using 3 tier 2 servers from OpenNIC, and the internet is now suddenly a great deal faster, and more sites seem to be there now. But i just want to know if I'm killing the internet, ie abusing a service i'm not ment to use. Or is this just a cool tweak?

If their public you shouldn't have a problem.

The only time that I can think of that you would have a problem if you wrote some software that used those servers and then sold that software to a large number of people.

Now that you've started looking into DNS, you can start thinking about running your own DNS server, I found I got the best speed increase from doing that.

If their public you shouldn't have a problem.

The only time that I can think of that you would have a problem if you wrote some software that used those servers and then sold that software to a large number of people.

Now that you've started looking into DNS, you can start thinking about running your own DNS server, I found I got the best speed increase from doing that.

isn't your dns server will relay upon the dns server of your provider :?:

:?

I'd say just do your best to be a polite netizen and install a local caching DNS server so you reduce the load on their boxen as much as possible. It should speed up your own lookups a little more to boot, so it's a win-win situation.

Use BIND Vako, its on FreeBSD and most people use that when setting themself a DNS server up. Theres plenty of documentation and tutorials out there as well.

yea what he said.... there's a really good o'reilly book called dns/BIND read that become 'l33torz'

Use BIND Vako, its on FreeBSD and most people use that when setting themself a DNS server up. Theres plenty of documentation and tutorials out there as well.

yea what he said.... there's a really good o'reilly book called dns/BIND read that become 'l33torz'

That book is awesome. I only read half of it though, considering that I had no ambitions of running my own DNS server. I think it's just a good read for anyone as the first few chapters really help you understand the Internet.