My Pineapple 2 From Hak5 Arrived. How Do I Use It?

Ok I've received my Pineapple 2 from Darren yesterday :-D

And I've been trying to work out how to go about using it..., I've looked through the forums and most the references are talking about the original one so I'm not sure if its still the same. And with the Wiki not working I can't look there either :-S

A few questions:

- Do i need to add the pineapple SSID to the blacklist like i saw in one guide? each time I power it on?

- After its powered on, what's the best way to configure it? ie should i connect a Cat5 cable to it and set a static IP on my laptop and then login to the web interface? or should I connect via WiFi with the SSID pineapple and then logon it the web interface from there?

- Do i then, enable Karma? is that all there is to it? In my mucking around testing, after enabling Karma, i still didn't get my other laptop saying that it could connect to my home wifi or uni wifi??? They only saw the pineapple ssid...

- As far as still letting the victims have access to the internet, can I connect my laptop to the wifi hotspot (uni, cafe, airport, etc) and then connect the Pineapple via Cat5 to my laptop and share my wifi so that the traffic goes via my laptop? is that how you do it?

Pineapple Mark II = Old pineapple, different manufacturer (Open-Mesh instead of Fon), no pineapple cup (original case only) to my understanding.

1) The SSID and MAC address whitelists/blacklists are cleared when the device powers down (so I believe. If it's not supposed to, then someone please help me).

3) Your laptop has to be probing while Karma is enabled. Windows XP, Mac OS X and Linux (NetworkManager at least) do this by default. Windows Vista and 7 only probe for wireless networks it's configured for which have a hiddden SSID.

4) Yes.

My new pineapple is doing something really weird... I've been trying to set it up with a Cat5 cable connecting it to my laptop, but within a minute or so of switching it on the network connection drops out and i can't ping the pineapple.

I also can't see the pineapple ssid either...

Is my pineapple faulty :-S

I think I may have worked it out... I chucked some new batteries in the case and it seems to be working again... I only got a couple of hours out of the first set of batteries... does that sound right? I think I might need to get some rechargeable AA's for it...

I had to get the Fon's connector soldered on to a standard transformer to use it in Australia. US->AUS adaptors are easy to find, but ones that change the voltage are near-impossible to get.

Edited by Psychosis

I had to get the Fon's connector soldered on to a standard transformer to use it in Australia. US->AUS adaptors are easy to find, but ones that change the voltage are near-impossible to get.

The new pineapple comes with a 100-240V 50/60hz adaptor so no voltage conversion is required, just need the adaptor so it can physically plug into the wall.

I've noticed when testing the pineapple with my netbook as the victim running the jolicloud partition it sees a number f random jiberish ssid's... but doesn't seem to want to connect to my "home" wifi through the pineapple... any ideas? my main laptop and my desktop are windows 7 so they haven't fallen victim...

Got my pinapple in the mail the other day. Almost everything works, I got everything setup on the netbook end ready to go and wasnt getting any traffic. Through some ping testing I determined wireless can wired can talk to the pineapple but traffic cannot go between wired and wireless. So pretty sure its the bridge. I checked the X-Wrt page and of course the link to wireless-to-lan-bridging is an empty page.

Lan Config is static IP Bridged and I checked the config files and they are almost identical to the exception of the dhcp file where this was left out

list 'dhcp_option' '3,10.110.0.1' # This is the IP address of . .

#. . The Host Laptop's Net-Interface acting as GW

list 'dhcp_option' '6,10.110.0.2,8.8.8.8' # This is Option 6 define the DNS server, . .

# . . Then IP of Pineapple, Then Googles DNS IP

however that shouldnt have a thing to do with it. I know its a simple switch somewhere im overlooking any thoughts?

Got most of my refferance from the following.

Internet Connection Sharing on "LINUX"

& Jasager Pineapple Setup