Deep Packet Inspection

wbbugs

So I was thinking now that the Digital Economy Bill was passed into law ths week in the UK can we have an episode that shows us how to encrypt our data so the deep packet inspection that is gonna be done by our isp's is made more difficult. Personally I do not want every email, blog, website and download tracked and logged by my ISP.

Or is a VPN the only way around it?

Thanks

Edited by wbbugs

What if the VPN host is monitoring every thing you do?

Its funny you brought that up, I've always been skeptical about the whole online hosting thing. But what if you run your own VPS? I guess the ISP would also be able to monitor or see what you do right!

Edited by Infiltrator

From what I have been reading there in not a lot that can be done with regards to deep packet inspection. No matter where you send your traffic it can be read somewhere.

DPI can actually reassemble and read traffic in real time.

Actually see the pages you visit.

I just want to make it more difficult for them.

HTTPS - Secure?

HTTP - Not secure. How can I make it secure??

<_<

From what I have been reading there in not a lot that can be done with regards to deep packet inspection. No matter where you send your traffic it can be read somewhere.

DPI can actually reassemble and read traffic in real time.

Actually see the pages you visit.

I just want to make it more difficult for them.

HTTPS - Secure?

HTTP - Not secure. How can I make it secure??

<_<

HTTPS may look secure, but can be defeated with SSL Strip.

HTTP, I guess you could tunnel all your HTTP traffic through SSH using a home VPS.

Edited by Infiltrator

HTTPS may look secure, but can be defeated with SSL Strip.

HTTP, I guess you could tunnel all your HTTP traffic through SSH using a home VPS.

it cant be "defeated" it just means the page is altered, basically take note of what pages SHOULD be https and what shouldnt, if its not ssl encrypted then some one is fucking with you

The best thing you can do it use TOR. However, as the TOR download page says "Tor does not magically encrypt all of your Internet activities.", because nothing can. You would need to start a new Internet for that to be possible.

it cant be "defeated" it just means the page is altered, basically take note of what pages SHOULD be https and what shouldnt, if its not ssl encrypted then some one is fucking with you

Yeah, I agree! But you should not be entirely relying on HTTPS for everything.

Edited by Infiltrator

The best thing you can do it use TOR. However, as the TOR download page says "Tor does not magically encrypt all of your Internet activities.", because nothing can. You would need to start a new Internet for that to be possible.

i thought tor was more anonymity?

Yeah, I agree! But you should not be entirely relying on HTTPS for everything.

yeah im not saying that, im just saying sslstrip isnt that great as its a bit of a giveaway if the website should be https and you would see the S and the lock sign and neither are there

The best thing you can do it use TOR. However, as the TOR download page says "Tor does not magically encrypt all of your Internet activities.", because nothing can.

So i am wrong in thinking that if you go through a 3rd party VPN then your traffic is encrypted from your isp if the VPN uses encryption.? I understand that that the VPN provider could use DPI but the ISP see's nothing??

Yes, the traffic is obfuscated form your ISP, but your VPN host and there ISP can see every thing.

Man, I should open my own ISP.

Sparda, would you like to start the Internet 2.0 with me?

On a more serious note, the best you could do is tunnel your traffic to a server in a country that doesn't monitor internet usage. This is, of course, not completely safe because you never know what is on the other side... but it's the best shot you have. Also, what is to stop the govt from making the ISPs MITM you? Just because you are using SSH or a VPN, doesn't mean everything is secure... SSH, VPN.

the end point wouldnt would it?

it would see the encrypted data sent through each. i would of said the first point you ssh into would be worse

Damn we are all doomed, no matter what we do to secure ourselves there's always a way around it.