Anti-virus Suggestions

supereater14

i am looking for an antivirus program. my requirements are that it work well and have the ability to disable it completely!!!!! by completely, i don't mean just turning off the shield function, i mean no threads related to it at all!!! this is a big thing for me. i have already tried avg(good but lacking the ability to disable) and avast(near impossible to uninstall, by the way) thank you in advance.

Edited by supereater14

Guest Deleted_Account
i am looking for an antivirus program. my requirements are that it work well and have the ability to disable it completely!!!!! by completely, i don't mean just turning off the shield function, i mean no threads related to it at all!!! this is a big thing for me. i have already tried avg(good but lacking the ability to disable) and avast(near impossible to uninstall, by the way) thank you in advance.

What version of Avast? i used Avast 5 and didnt have a problem removing it. I recommend Comodo Anti-virus Defense+ and Firewall suite it is really good from my experience. I do not know about disabling though. My i guess you want this feature for hacking tools? lol :P well in any doubt i use ClamAV since i no longer use windows at all! :)

dont use an AV, install linux

I partly agree with that, but you still need to protect yourself no matter what. Even though Linux is a lot safer than windows, there are still viruses written for linux, not with the same numbers as there are for windows but its just a matter of time before Linux becomes a targeted system likewise windows.

You may be safe for now, but soon or later you will have to cope with it.

Edited by Infiltrator

I will definitely recommend Avast 5, as I am currently using it on my PC at home, and never had any issues with it. There were a couple of instances where I had to uninstall it, but again during the uninstalling I never encountered any issues whatsoever.

With respect to Comodo Anti-virus Defense + and Firewall suite I also would recommend it, I never used it before apart from the Free Comodo Firewall, furthermore Comodo makes really good security software as well.

I guess you could use a combination of both Avast5 and the Free Comodo Firewall for protecting yourself.

Edited by Infiltrator

I partly agree with that, but you still need to protect yourself no matter what. Even though Linux is a lot safer than windows, there are still viruses written for linux, not with the same numbers as there are for windows but its just a matter of time before Linux becomes a targeted system likewise windows.

You may be safe for now, but soon or later you will have to cope with it.

lol no good virii, exploits how ever yes :P

also even on my windows pc i dont have an antivirus as i only use it to play cracked games

should probably run AVG on it see how much it picks up haha

my computer is dual booted with ubuntu and xp pro.

i still have to use windows for some things.

i am looking for a av program that i can pretty much turn on, run a scan and then close and forget about for another month.

Edited by supereater14

ClamAV do something for Windows, no real time scanning but apparently its good for batch scanning. In all honesty, just install MS security essentials though, it will do everything you want it to.

My problem with anti-virus software is it is dependent on comparing software on your system against known "bad" software. Keeping anti-virus definition files up to date will help, but there will always be a percentage of malware in the wild that will be undetectable by anti-virus software.

An infected system, even after a thorough cleaning, should never be trusted again. I believe preventing the files from getting on your machine in the first place is a better solution than scanning after-the-fact.

"If you regularly have to clean dog shit off your shoes -- would you prefer to invest money in excellent detergents and shoe cleaner, or would you prefer to watch where you are walking?"

dont use an AV, install linux

Right. Linux is way more secure than other operating systems. (yes, sarcasm)

Using a less-popular (and thus less-targeted) OS does not make you any more or less secure.

Edited by fsck

My problem with anti-virus software is it is dependent on comparing software on your system against known "bad" software. Keeping anti-virus definition files up to date will help, but there will always be a percentage of malware in the wild that will be undetectable by anti-virus software.

An infected system, even after a thorough cleaning, should never be trusted again. I believe preventing the files from getting on your machine in the first place is a better solution than scanning after-the-fact.

"If you regularly have to clean dog shit off your shoes -- would you prefer to invest money in excellent detergents and shoe cleaner, or would you prefer to watch where you are walking?"

Using a less-popular (and thus less-targeted) OS does not make you any more or less secure.

holy shit

FSCK

go back to fbsd

*hides

also point made, ill shut up

edit: what im meaning is you're less likely to get drive-by infected on Linux

edit edit: for av use AVG, is free and good

Edited by Burning Aces

Guest Deleted_Account
I will definitely recommend Avast 5, as I am currently using it on my PC at home, and never had any issues with it. There were a couple of instances where I had to uninstall it, but again during the uninstalling I never encountered any issues whatsoever.

With respect to Comodo Anti-virus Defense + and Firewall suite I also would recommend it, I never used it before apart from the Free Comodo Firewall, furthermore Comodo makes really good security software as well.

I guess you could use a combination of both Avast5 and the Free Comodo Firewall for protecting yourself.

Thats how i used to do it :) Avast 5 + Comodo Firewall and Defense + works great

You did read that right? Lets start at the top shall we:

Solution status:

As stated on the website YOU provided 87% are patched already While 7% have workarounds and 7% are unpatched compared to windows that is secure.

Criticality:

Out of these only 7% are moderately critical 0% are above moderate (High and extreme) and 47% are Less and the other 47% are not at all.

Where:

Only 13% of these "holes" are remotely exploitable 87% are local (meaning any decent security on your network and you are safe (which provided hacking someone comp/network is always easier when you are on their LAN/WLAN)

Impact:

This is funny what are you worried about any ways the impact is:

60% are DoS (denial of service) any decent firewall would block these and if you are really paranoid use Bastille and limit them.

only 5% are system access

and 20% are priv escalation (which would need physical access or WLAN remote access

So i am fairly certain it is safer the windows! lol

Edited by x942

Thats how i used to do it :) Avast 5 + Comodo Firewall and Defense + works great

You did read that right? Lets start at the top shall we:

Solution status:

As stated on the website YOU provided 87% are patched already While 7% have workarounds and 7% are unpatched compared to windows that is secure.

Criticality:

Out of these only 7% are moderately critical 0% are above moderate (High and extreme) and 47% are Less and the other 47% are not at all.

Where:

Only 13% of these "holes" are remotely exploitable 87% are local (meaning any decent security on your network and you are safe (which provided hacking someone comp/network is always easier when you are on their LAN/WLAN)

Impact:

This is funny what are you worried about any ways the impact is:

60% are DoS (denial of service) any decent firewall would block these and if you are really paranoid use Bastille and limit them.

only 5% are system access

and 20% are priv escalation (which would need physical access or WLAN remote access

So i am fairly certain it is safer the windows! lol

woo you saved my ass..kind of

^5

my computer is dual booted with ubuntu and xp pro.

i still have to use windows for some things.

i am looking for a av program that i can pretty much turn on, run a scan and then close and forget about for another month.

Avast 5 will do just that for you. The new version, gives you the option to temporarily disable it for 1 min, 30 min, 1 or 10 hours.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account
At risk of everyon trying to kill me, Kaspersky does the job, whole load of diable options and catches way more stuff than all the free ones.

I agree Kaspersky is great in business environments but i usually used Avast! and Kaspersky (disabled used as backup/secondary scan)

I agree Kaspersky is great in business environments but i usually used Avast! and Kaspersky (disabled used as backup/secondary scan)

Even though you have to buy, Kaspersky is one of the best Anti-virus in world, detects almost 99.0% of all shitware. But if you are cheap like me, Avast 5 will do the job.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account
Even though you have to buy, Kaspersky is one of the best Anti-virus in world, detects almost 99.0% of all shitware. But if you are cheap like me, Avast 5 will do the job.

Agreed and i am cheap hence me only ever using Avast! 5 or now ClamAV (as i only use linux with the exception of a winxp vm i dont care about lol )

Agreed and i am cheap hence me only ever using Avast! 5 or now ClamAV (as i only use linux with the exception of a winxp vm i dont care about lol )

Fair enough, as long as it makes you happy that's all that matters.

Avast 5 will do just that for you. The new version, gives you the option to temporarily disable it for 1 min, 30 min, 1 or 10 hours.

yeah avast is by far the least annoying :)

but totally convinced it doesnt pick some malware up

throws hardly any false positives (dont know whether to be happy or sad lol)

the other day i checked through my process list and found an exe calle 'Fix Camera.exe'

searched for it on google and found it was malware

deleted the file and removed it from the registry group

but avast didnt pick it up lols

nor does it detect my keylogger :) ... happy dayz

Edited by Trip

MS Security Essentials for me. I wanted something that did not consume system resources.

I must admit I dont even know its there. Until it pops up!

Cant believe I just mentioned Microsoft Sotware that is actually any good! :huh: