Konboot

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account
Konboot is free. if you paid for it, then you got it from the wrong place, and chances are its malware.

looks like there is a paid one:

http://www.kryptoslogic.com/?area=2&item=2

And is by kryptologic who apparently made KonBoot:

www.piotrbania.com/all/kon-boot/

unless i am missing something in which case i am sorry :P oh and i download above mentioned updated version for free anyways so ya probably a scam unless this is just paying for the preburned copy :S

There is a small confusion. The Kon Boot free version is actually v1.0. The 2 in one packaged was incorrectly labeled 1.1, which it is not, so some zip files are floating around with the label 1.1, but the actual program itself is still v1.0. Kon Boot v1.1 from KryptosLogic.com is a updated version which is bug free with Windows 7. The next update will account for the phoenix bios issue. If you paid for Kon Boot with the label "v1.0", then this is a fraud site; however, if the splash screen is v1.1, then this is a valid Kryptos Logic version which is commercially available.

Guest Deleted_Account
Well the price isn't too bad, I just wish the free version really supports W7 like it claims on the site.

So what do they mean by 6 month license? Does that mean 6 months of free download of any updated versions?

The Free version worked for me on my WIN7 Ultimate test machine

Guest Deleted_Account
Doesn't work with x64 I think.

Tempted to buy it, but I am not sure if you can "renew" after the 6 months.

Ah okay that makes sense now lol and ya it doesnt work with x64 just tried on my friends after reading your post. This is also why i prefer x86 lol :P well good luck with the paid version

I have yet to use x64 OS on my machines cause 2GBs all i'm sporting. With both the beta and rc versions of W7 I was testing I would always get a blue screen. Can't be my BIOS either... worked just fine under Vista and XP. But hey, I really do value this tool and KryptosLogic does desrve something for working on such a fantastic product.

And the paid version does work on x64. Look on their website and they illustrate it in action booting a x64 bit copy of Windows 7.

Edited by SomethingToChatWith

Think the 6 month license update description needs to be updated to be more clear. Subscription is not required, just allows 6 months downloads & support. It can be renewed, of course, and a discount is offered when you purchase renewals. Also, hak5 will be giving away a few licenses as prizes (I believe) on some episodes somewhere, but this code might be useful(expires apr 14): hak15percent .

Regarding windows 7 on free version of kon boot, its a hit and miss. There is a bug associated with Win7 and the free version of kon boot. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it won’t. The version of course does not have this issue. Main issues with Kon Boot which are being constantly worked on is: multidrive/multios and bios compatibility. So far the main compatibility issue is phoenix 2005 bios. This should soon be supported.

Think the 6 month license update description needs to be updated to be more clear. Subscription is not required, just allows 6 months downloads & support. It can be renewed, of course, and a discount is offered when you purchase renewals. Also, hak5 will be giving away a few licenses as prizes (I believe) on some episodes somewhere, but this code might be useful(expires apr 14): hak15percent .

Thanks for the info! I just ordered a copy. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Ok, well I haven't purchased the new version just yet but I'm this close to doing so...

Anyone who has purchased this can they confirm it comes with both the CD and Floppy images?

Point to asking is because I'm consolidating as many tools as I can into a single CD, so I'll be needing the floppy image to use with memdisk from grub4dos. Not to say I won't burn a single disc with Kon-Boot, but the less I haft to carry around the better.

• 11 months later...