Iphone Or Driod? (in My Case Galaxy)

Guest Deleted_Account

Guest Deleted_Account

To start off this inspired me to ask here (because of Daren's rooting of the Driod and rewatching that epi) :P

iphone_or_droid.png

Well on my quest to find a new cell phone i was stuck with the iPhone or samsung galaxy. Both of which seem like great phones. The iphone because well i have a touch and it is an amazing piece of technology and the sher number of apps plus jailbreak = wow! but android looks so much cheaper and living in BC canada my options are limited. for the iphone and galaxy i can go with Bell or Rogers (not including telus for certain reasons *cough* overcharging me *cough*). For the iphone on bell it is $55/month with 512mb of data 100 min of calling plus fab 5 or $60 for 1 gb of data plus 100 texts to anyone. the same is true for Rogers give or take but i use texting all the time and neither of them offer unlimited with the iphone however with the galaxy (only on Bell in canada) i can get unlim. texting for $50/month with 100 min of calling and caller ID.

so i am stuck iphone = thousands of apps and great device VS Andriod Galaxy = apps and Android (but i have yet to try one)

so any help would be great thank you :)

I have the Galaxy myself. It's a pretty awesome device, although some things are done in ways I had a bit of trouble getting used to as a long time Nokia user (placement of settings for various things, the messaging system in general, etcetc)... Now that I'm used to it though, it's really nice.

The only two real problems I have with it are as follows:

1. The battery life. Even if it's inactive with Wifi, GPS and 2/3G turned off, it'll run out of battery in a little over a day. Might not be a huge deal for some people, but I went from charging my very basic phone once a week to charging basically daily... Bit of an adjustment and I doubt the battery will live very long.

2. Don't know if it's my old SIM-card or what, but I had to actually manually set some setting that no phone manufactured after 97 has ever had any trouble finding from the card. For example the message center number was way off and needed to be set manually for SMS to work.

Edited by Koosti

Guest Deleted_Account
I have the Galaxy myself. It's a pretty awesome device, although some things are done in ways I had a bit of trouble getting used to as a long time Nokia user (placement of settings for various things, the messaging system in general, etcetc)... Now that I'm used to it though, it's really nice.

The only two real problems I have with it are as follows:

1. The battery life. Even if it's inactive with Wifi, GPS and 2/3G turned off, it'll run out of battery in a little over a day. Might not be a huge deal for some people, but I went from charging my very basic phone once a week to charging basically daily... Bit of an adjustment and I doubt the battery will live very long.

2. Don't know if it's my old SIM-card or what, but I had to actually manually set some setting that no phone manufactured after 97 has ever had any trouble finding from the card. For example the message center number was way off and needed to be set manually for SMS to work.

The battery part is fine for me i always charge my phone at night regardless of battery life (unless it's more then 1/2 charged). as for the SIM-Card i hope its only because it was a old one; i am getting it on a 3-year term with bell if i decide to get it so hopefully all goes well :)

Honestly the iPhone is a mediocre phone at best. Droid is superior.

Yeah that's what i was thinking besides jailbreaking the Driod and Galaxy do look better but my one question is: is the galaxy rooted or not? I have read mixed things about this. mainly, from what i understand it is rooted but none of the img's work? or am i reading outdated information? I know there is a Fast-boot method but everything states there are no working FW images. Sorry for the noobish questions but I have yet to own a smart phone besides a Blackberry (which failed 2 years ago).

Thank you for the help and information,

Kyle

After moving from an Nokia E71 to a HTC Hero, I have to agree. The battery life on these things is piss poor. The E71 could last a week with bluetooth on 24/7 and being used as a MP3 player for 1-2hrs a day. The Hero will last 1 to 1.5 days at most, and I've lost count of the number of times I've had to ride the train in silence. That was the biggest adjustment for me. Plus, the Hero is a great pocket computer, and it does things my E71 could only dream of, but the E71 was by far a better phone. And soft keyboards are lame, I miss being able to reply to a text with one hand.

For battery life, I carry spare batteries, they're not really all that expensive and a desktop charger is cheap too, I have 2 standard capacity batteries and a double capacity model, I very rarely find myself lacking in power. For that reason (among others) the iPhone would not be for me.

Personally I use Windows Mobile 6 and I might be one of the few people on the planet who actually likes it, but it does the job well, it's just not very pretty, though that doesn't bother me. If you're into the whole iPhone thing I'd wait and see what the next model will be, it's rumoured to be coming soon, and though it'll be a while yet, Windows Phone 7 might appeal to you as well, being much more interface oriented, and the ZuneHD UI they've included is nice for media too.

If you're wanting either Android or iPhone though, personally I'd choose Android with a hardware keyboard. It's more flexible and though I would have to admit that it feels a little immature even now, it's being updated very rapidly and it's certainly usable as it stands currently.

I'm going through the same thing. I owned an iPhone 3g and currently use a Blackberry Bold 9700. But, I'm still not satisfied. I've been watching to see what android devices come out on AT&T. I will hold off till the new iPhone comes out and see what if offers compaired to android devices that are out by then. I will so though, I LOVED my iPhone. (jailbroken of course)

clipse

Guest Deleted_Account

Thank you everyone for the helpful posts i ended up getting the Samsung Galaxy and loving it so far will be rooting it ASAP :). So far no problems and battery life seems reasonable (for me at least).

Thanks again :)

for anyone else that may have this question... Iphone or Android device... I want to add my 2 cents.

I purchased an iPhone 3G when it came out and it was the biggest mistake of my life. It is the shoddiest build of a phone I have ever seen. It fell once onto my kitchen floor and no visible cracks appeared, however since then two very LARGE cracks have been getting bigger and bigger in the middle of the back of the case one at the top and one at the bottom.

I almost think that once my contract runs out this August that the two cracks will meet and the back will fall off.

for those of you that say "Why didn't you buy a case?" I say to you "Why should I pay more for protection that the device should have from the manufacturer?" and "Why take a phone that was sleek (one of the reasons for purchase) and make it thicker?

so yeah Great choice in getting the Galaxy x942. I know you will enjoy it.

Personally I use Windows Mobile 6 and I might be one of the few people on the planet who actually likes it, but it does the job well, it's just not very pretty, though that doesn't bother me

I think you're right. You're the only person I've ever heard of that actually likes WinMo..

I like Windows Mobile, I have a Toshiba TG01. Windows Mobile was the shit back in the day, while my peers were getting excited about MMS, I was browsing the web, reading email, playing videos and music, controlling my torrents, all while on the train. It is fiddly as hell, and about as user friendly as a bullet to the foot, but it is still more powerful than Android or OSX Mobile. What other mobile phone can you connect a keyboard and mouse to, then VPN into work and RDP to a server with?

Where the newer Android and OSX Mobile devices win is the ability to use them as a phone, this WinMob is fail at.

Mind you, I still miss my Palm Treo 650, which was probally the best phone I have ever owned.

I'm going through the same thing. I owned an iPhone 3g and currently use a Blackberry Bold 9700. But, I'm still not satisfied. I've been watching to see what android devices come out on AT&T. I will hold off till the new iPhone comes out and see what if offers compaired to android devices that are out by then. I will so though, I LOVED my iPhone. (jailbroken of course)

clipse

So far the Android devices on At&t are just about as locked down as the iPhone, without the rooting capability. I've had winmo phones, they're okay. Had the first gen iPhone, it's okay. Have the Droid now, it's okay. They all have their shortcomings. WinMo is getting long in the tooth, maybe WinPhone7 will be better. The iPhone's store is it's biggest problem, the hardware is pretty nice. The Droid's biggest problem is Verizon, and the keyboard. Why they decided on this thing they call a keyboard I don't know. I've had pda's older than windows ce with better keyboards.....

I like Windows Mobile... It is fiddly as hell, and about as user friendly as a bullet to the foot...

Hahahahahahahahahahahaha!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by barry99705

Guest Deleted_Account
Personally I use Windows Mobile 6 and I might be one of the few people on the planet who actually likes it

been there i used too have a pocket pc with winMob 6 on it. it did the job with decent battery life but i ended up moding it to boot linux (far easier to use on a pocket pc). Only downside was that winmob 6 was rediculous to use and hard to control :( oh well thats why i got an android and not an winMob device :P

I had an HTC touch pro with winmo before switching over to droid. It works well. Exchange integration was easy. I like winmo and blackberry in an enterprise environment.

iPhone and Droid work okay with exchange, but they're more targeted at personal use than enterprise use.

I forsee Android slowly taking over apples market share over the next few months unless the rumor is true that iphone will be on verizon. Then android may be in trouble. I hear AT&T sucks.

I just got an HTC hero. IMHO Droid > Iphone, but mainly because you don't really HAVE to root it to do some of the more awesome stuff. You can even develop apps/debug and actually see it working right on the eclipse ide to test, and then you can upload it to the phone and voila! Your app is on your phone :).

I really hope that plans like they have down here start migrating your way for your sake. Down here, my carrier has a deal where you get 1 Hero /get a 2nd one free, and then on the plans you can get the all unlimited (and yes that also means no cap. I have read ALL the fine print and even called customer service to verify) for $70/mo, 2nd line is $40, so it ends up being $60/person for ea. line. The only thing it does not come with is SMS, but honestly what ever good came from sms anyway?! (anyone who has ever fallen for the 'hey come look at this picture' line knows what I am talking about)

This phone has been REAAALALALALALY awesome! But here are some points to consider:

-You may not have the inter-connectivity with your other Apple hardware like you would with an I-Phone

-There are some known bugs, but being at it's core a Linux system, android OS is always upgradable until the

phone won't actually have specs to run it (whereas with Apple, they phase out hardware compared to OS updates)

-There are not AS many apps, especially not as good games (so I have heard) but at the same time, the Android Market is growing very rapidly IMHO compared to Apple's Online Store, so very soon you may see the opposite happening, however, there are a good handfull of crap apps out on the Android market at this time.

-Apple thoroughly reviews apps before they make it to their store, and rejects crapware, duplicateware, and junk, whereas as far as I have noticed any old shmoe that can write code can post to the Android Market.

-Apple has say when who and how OS updates happen for the I-phone, for Android OS (to be supported/insured/etc) it's all up to your service carrier. If the carrier says... oh well, your phone can run it but were not going to give it to you, then your stuck unless you buy the next upgraded phone.

Even if you want to get the newest Android update, but your carrier wont support it for your phone, you can root your phone, find the rom and upgrade. I am excited about Android 2.1 even though there are tons bitching about the broken promises etc. for the release date, which reminds me. Why do people get in an uproar when a support rep. tells them a false date for an OS release? Oh well.. Average consumers will be average consumers I guess...

I hope this helped your decision one way or another. Both phones have very good promises with purchase, and you really can't go wrong either way.

In Other News:Apple Claims Invention of Multi-Touch, Phone CPU Undervolting, Sues HTC to Stop Sales

http://www.dailytech.com/Update+Apple+Clai...rticle17811.htm

This is a month old article I know, but interesting... Just goes to show if you'r in doubt, sue I guess.

I'm still waiting on my lawsuit for others breathing oxygen without paying royalties. Don't worry you guys are cool. heh. :P

And then there is this: Taiwanese chipmaker Elan Microelectronics, and they are suing Apple over patent no. 5,825,352, filed in February 1996, and granted in October 1998. The patent calls for a "method and apparatus for detecting an operative coupling between one or more fingers or other appropriate objects and a touch pad includes processes for detection of multiple maxima with intermediate minima in appropriate sequences to emulate the operations of cursor control and button actuations in a pointing and control device".

FYI, multitouch was actually invented back in the 80's: "In 1983, Bell Labs at Murray Hill published a comprehensive discussion of touch-screen based interfaces.[5] In 1984, Bell Labs engineered a touch screen that could change images with more than one hand. In 1985, the University of Toronto group including Bill Buxton developed a multi-touch tablet that used capacitance rather than bulky camera-based optical sensing systems." - source - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multi-touch /

Edited by h3%5kr3w

We get angry because HTC initially promised us Hero owners a rom update to 1.6, then 2.0, and finally 2.1 and have been doing so since October. They then don't tell us anything, except half arsed statements from support reps who just seem to make stuff up and continually push back the date for 2.1. It would be OK if they kept us updated, but they never tell us what is going on. So I would be happy if they had said "the update we wanted to release in March has been delayed, here is the reason, this is the new date". As a result, I am pretty pissed about the hero purchase and I will probally not buy another HTC phone thanks to this attitude.

Say what you want about Apple, my 1G iPod Touch (that I got when it was released) has been updated consistently since then, and it is only now that its not being updated (and this will probally be hacked within a few months of release). Android is a mess of different versions and update polices, and as a result I own a phone which could be updated, but thanks to HTC isn't being updated.

Also, FYI, the linux part of Android is little more than a framework to support the java VM that runs your applications.

If I was to buy an Android phone today, I would get the Nexus One, simply because it is being updated.

first i gotta say the comic was perfect.

next

in my experience the iphone is designed as a general smart phone for people from all walks of life. the positive effect is that its easy to use and good at what it does. the bad side is that it is limited compared to say a computer.

where droid is but 1 phone in a family running on the same operating system. the best and most up to date of which so far is the google nexus one. next would be the droid (based on the order of updating). and then it continues out into the other models.

android is based on linux and as such is very very powerful. you can write apps easily with the SDK and a little java knowledge. or you can download the ASE(android scripting environment) and write in python or perl (more than those as well).

android has its quirks. im sure the iphone does as well. but for the most part i see the same battle between the 2 that i see between gamers. one side is casual(iphone). the other is hardcore(droid). and for the most part if your not really tech savvy then iphone may be the phone since it has far more commercial apps from larger companies. but chances are if you come to this forum and watch the show that youll want the droid.

its more open ended and powerful and the app store adds apps constantly (i check the "latest additions" every day and it takes about 45 minutes just scrolling a list). not to mention it will probably be covered in the show more often as it seems to be more hack friendly.

i chose the droid for myself. and im damn glad i did.

+1 to VaKo. on the Nexus One. However I got a sweet deal on this, so I am going to roll with it.

As far as casual vs. hardcore, that's just a matter of preference really. You can do the same on the I-phone as you can the Android platform, just that with the Iphone, the first step is rooting it.

I am going to try to wait it out for 2.1. Hell it's only a month away anyway. I think maybe it has a little bit more to do with the polish HTC puts in it's widgets and the point of this is the first real release update for HTC so they want to get it right before they send it out (yes I am being optimistic.. 1st time buyer of an HTC phone so giving them the 1 benefit of the doubt).

Yes there are a lot of folks like us waiting for it to come, but there are tons more generic consumers, fluffin' around with the phone, and don't know how to really even use it for more than calls and playing music (and playing teeter.. that game is friggin' hard past level 30) that are just going to go eh? oh it updated? wow, didn't know it could do that.. And then they will be all happy and giggily to see animated backgrounds and that's about it...

If it all comes to a crapshoot of HTC constantly spurting out lengthier update times I am just going to root it and take my 2.1 into my own hands (with the idea of having a complete backup of 1.5 so if anything ever happens)

Hell, if it gets bricked I can find some interesting ways with some wire and a 9 volt to make it fry for the warranty guys :)

Edited by h3%5kr3w

Only problem is that the Hero 2.1 roms are all pretty buggy, or miss out features. I tried a few, but reverted to stock simply because I can't afford for my phone not to work correctly as a phone.

Tempted to sell it and get a Droid/Milestone, or a Nexus One.

Should get an Android device, the iPhone EULA will start adding the clause that you need to wear jeans and turtleneck top when using it. Unless you're comfortable with the stupid shit Apple comes up with (refer to 3.3.1 of iPhone OS 4 SDK :)).