People-Cooling

moonlit

"Is it more efficent to fit every room with a heater or use a central heater?" I think you know the answer, I bet the answer would be the same for "Is it more efficent to fit every room with a cooler or have a central cooler?" as well.

Possibly but that all depends on the design of the system as well. I havn't seen a house with heaters for each individual room in years (nor any sort of cooling system aside from fans) so I don't know their efficienty off the top of my head.

I like your idea and I would love to see a proto type put into action. I believe a car intercooler would work for a first run if you've got the time the cut, bend and weld pipes, attach a bilage pump of some sort as well as a cooler (no idea what you could use there).

I don't think my parents would approve of me dismanteling the central heating, they disapprove of my awsomely cool air extractor... they said it was a fire hazered... they some how think the sun can melt bin bags, and also some how think molten plastic starts fires...

If my combobulare did nothing else it certinly kept the insects out, it's a compleate success on that frount. The room does seem to be cooler with all the windows open rather then just the fan powered exsaust, but it's better then nothing at night when you want the windows closed becasuew of the insects but you want them open because of the heat.

If others have a insect problem at night and a hot room, I surrgest they at least try it, it cost me about 30 minuets work, 4 plastic bin bags, a large room fan and some saletape.

Thought I better write a "How I created the thing" bit.

Things you will need

Large plastic bin bags (the amount needed depends on the position of the fan and the size of the window)

Selatape (One role is more then enough)

A room fan (The bigger the better)

Scissors (Sharpe ones)

How to make it

1. Attach the extendor bin bags to the fan, depending on how far the fan has to be from the window will change how many bags are needed. Realy the minimum for this is two.

Simply use the Selatape to attach a bin bag to the frount of the fan, be sure it's secure by turning on the fan with the unmodifiyed bin bag. Then cut the end off, there by having a bin bag that is attached to the frount of a fan but is open in both ends.

2. Attach another bing bag to the priviusly atached bin bag, test for strength, then cut the end off.

3. Cover the open window. This is where the amount of bin bags will fluctuate alot depending on the situation, my window only took one and a half bin bags. I'll discribe how I covered mine but realy you will have to come up wiht your own solution if your window is compleatly diffrent to mine.

I started by cutting the bottom off another of the bin bags, and then cutting it all the way though on one side so as to have a flat sheet of plastic. I then attached this to the window leaving a big enoguh gap at the bottom to fit the fan exsaaust though, the inflated exsuse seales the gaping hole at the bottom. I then just atached another half a bin bag to the top part of the window to cover the final hole. I then went all the way around the bin bags with selatape to ensure a decent amount ofair tightness.

4. Position the fan where it will sit perminantly. Place the exause in the window (in the position you have come up with your self).

5. Turn the fan on.

6. Hope for the best.

7. Check for leaks.

8. Fix leaks.

9. Enjoy cooler, bug free, enviroment!

Comprihensive enough for ya?

Equipment and Resources:

- Several large polyvinyl chloride refuse sacks,

- Adhesive tape,

- A large floor-standing room fan,

- Scissors

Method:

1. Remove several PVC refuse sacks from the roll. The required quantity is defined by the distance between the fan and the window. Use scissors to remove the bottom of each of the sacks.

2. Secure each of the now bottomless sacks together with adhesive tape. You should after completing this step have what will become an endless PVC tube when inflated by the fan. Secure one end of this tube to your fan.

3. You will notice upon the completion of the creation of the working mechanism of the cooling device that the window still has a large open area around where your exhaust will vent. You will require more PVC sacks to secure to your window around the opening of your PVC tube and ensure that the only route on or out of your chosen window is via your PVC tube and fan. The easiest way to accomplish this (especially with large windows or patio doors) is to tear or cut the sides and bottom from the PVC sacks. You should then be left with a large sheet of PVC for each sack you use. While attatching to the window, ensure that you remember to leave an opening for your fan exhaust.

4. Position the fan where it will not be a hinderance to one's daily business but where the PVC pipe you have just created can still reach the opening you left when covering the window with the polyvinyl chloride sheeting you created from the refuse sacks.

5. Turn the fan on and ensure that there are no significant holes, gaps, rips, gashes or other flaws in the construction of your exhaust. Areas that allow air to escape such as badly secured joints in your polyvinyl chloride piping may reduce the effectiveness and efficiency of this device.

While I hope this has been informative enough for you to attempt the project yourself, I would welcome questions, queries or critisism. Please reply to this post with further enquiries and comments.

This might be a fun project to attempt but I would urge you not to heavily modify a rented property, property in which you are resident but do not own or other circumstances that would prohibit you from attempting this project. I would assume that parents would also not be keen on this small but cosmetically challenged fan and window modification. The Editor (moonlit) holds no responsibilty for electrical or mechanical faliure of any device, damage to/destruction of any property belonging to yourself or other parties, ill health, bodily harm or death to any person involved in this modification.

Ye, cut up bin bags do not look too nice, paticulaly when stuck to a window. I might have to come up with another method of having the window open but keep the insects out, since thats prety much all this does. It does it very well. It doesn't move enough air though, but I think that is becasue my fan isn't very good.