Download Torrents On School?!?

LearnToHack

Hey I want to download torrents on my school network but when i open the torrent in uTorrent I get no seeders or leechers. So how can I download them. For the school network we need to give our mac address so we can access the internet. I can play Quake Live on the network so how can I play that?

PLZ tell me how to download!!!

I don't know if something like Bitlet will work.

http://www.bitlet.org/

But you can pay for a VPN Service like TorrentFreedom

http://torrentfreedom.com/

the catch here is if your school monitors bandwidth usage. They can still tell you are using a crazy amount of bandwidth, they just can't tell on what.

Edited by BlueWyvern

It is blocked for a reason. Also a) it is illegal(I am guessing you are downloading TV shows etc), if you are downloading linux, download from http and ask B) wait until you get home, if you don't have internet at home, buy it , though you should be doing this if it is illegal c) it is the school network etc, they pay for it and allow you to do SCHOOL work not download tv shows or movies.

School, learning, network abuse, AUP, blocked for a reason and so forth.

This.

The blocking of network intensive protocols is for the benefit of everyone. If you think the network is slow sometimes, just imagine if everyone was torrenting on it.

And this.

*facepalm*

If you want a technical solution, setup a torrent box at home, on your own network, with a web interface and some form of remote access. Torrent to this.

If you happen to be in the position of not having an internet connection at home, I would talk to your network admins and see, and this is a *looong* shot, if they can sort out something for you. I know very well that the helpdesk people I work with have an "arrangement" with the network team for a similar situation.

Hey I want to download torrents on my school network but when i open the torrent in uTorrent I get no seeders or leechers. So how can I download them. For the school network we need to give our mac address so we can access the internet. I can play Quake Live on the network so how can I play that?

PLZ tell me how to download!!!

Sounds like the school put either the BCD (BitTorrent Content Downloader) blocking software or XP ntldr blocking software on your machine. Which OS are you using, XP or Vista/7? These are hidden files they could have installed on your system from being on their school network and you will have to delete them first to get uTorrent and other peer to peer/ BCD software to run.

- In XP, open a folder, go to tools, folder options, make sure you can see hidden files and uncheck "hide protected operating system files". Once you do this you can see them, but they will be locked down from your controls. You need to be administrator to reset this.

Next, Go to the C drive in my computer and look for ntldr file. This is blocking your uTorrent downloads. To unblock, right click it. Do properties and then security. Click advances, then the owner tab. Click your name and hit apply. This makes you owner. CLick ok and ok again, then highlight your name and make sure you have all the chek boxes for full control. Once you do, click ok and then delete the file and reboot. Unhook your internet connection first though. You dont want them putting the file back on yet until after you boot.

- If you are using Vista, they keep this in a different file for peer networking since the upgraded from XP (sneaky bastards didnt think we would find it though). Follow the similar steps above to show those hidden and system files, then go to c:\boot. There is a file called BCD (BitTorrent Content Downloader) . Dont worry about the log files, they are what they are tracking your Bit Torrent Download connections with, so disconnect from the network and then take ownership of BCD like you did in XP. Once you are owner, give full permissions and then delete it and reboot. You should be all set to go then!

Edited by digip

Quake Live runs an updated version of the id Tech 3 engine, focusing on gameplay rather than major graphical upgrades. In addition to usability changes, Quake Live has a new, more streamlined HUD.

Quake Live registration of a user account is available on the Quake Live website and free to anyone wishing to play. Currently supported platforms include Internet Explorer 7+, Mozilla Firefox 2+, and Safari 3+ web browsers running on Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Mac OS X 10.4+ (Intel processor only), and Linux.During the registration process the game and required browser plug-in is automatically downloaded. Updates to the game are continually released and automatically installed as the user logs in.

The browser plug-in does not make use of Flash to play the game.The software is a modified version of Quake III Gold executed natively as compiled code on the user's machine.

Sounds like the school put either the BCD (BitTorrent Content Downloader) blocking software or XP ntldr blocking software on your machine. Which OS are you using, XP or Vista/7? These are hidden files they could have installed on your system from being on their school network and you will have to delete them first to get uTorrent and other peer to peer/ BCD software to run.

- In XP, open a folder, go to tools, folder options, make sure you can see hidden files and uncheck "hide protected operating system files". Once you do this you can see them, but they will be locked down from your controls. You need to be administrator to reset this.

Next, Go to the C drive in my computer and look for ntldr file. This is blocking your uTorrent downloads. To unblock, right click it. Do properties and then security. Click advances, then the owner tab. Click your name and hit apply. This makes you owner. CLick ok and ok again, then highlight your name and make sure you have all the chek boxes for full control. Once you do, click ok and then delete the file and reboot. Unhook your internet connection first though. You dont want them putting the file back on yet until after you boot.

- If you are using Vista, they keep this in a different file for peer networking since the upgraded from XP (sneaky bastards didnt think we would find it though). Follow the similar steps above to show those hidden and system files, then go to c:\boot. There is a file called BCD (BitTorrent Content Downloader) . Dont worry about the log files, they are what they are tracking your Bit Torrent Download connections with, so disconnect from the network and then take ownership of BCD like you did in XP. Once you are owner, give full permissions and then delete it and reboot. You should be all set to go then!

I Will give it a try tomorrow. I use win7 32bit.

Digip your a complete cunt, you realize that? LearnToHack, I strongly recommend you look before you leap.

Yes, I know...

I just want to say though, this question has been asked 100's of times before, and 1, while not exactly hacking your school it falls closely to that category which is in the forum rules not to ask help for, 2, the answer has been given enough times in the forums, he could have searched for it, 3, google would have helped him in like 3 sec's if he truly understood his problem 4, people who are this clueless don't need to continually post "Plz can someone tell me , i know it is possible" and expect to get everythign handed to them on a silver platter.

I'm all for the debate on ethics, as I dont care if he hacks his school or not, its his ass, not mine. He cant follow rules of the school why would he on here, fine.

I can understand for learning and educational purposes we sometimes get into full on black hat stuff, and while it is all for educational purposes, this was about the most educational thing he will learn about the entire thread. Just as you pointed out, "look before you leap". If he really was that clueless, then it may not evne be his school that is blocking him, it may be himself.

Edited by digip