Choosing A Laptop Wifi Chipset

wizzy

I'm looking into getting a new laptop to use for security research. It will most likely be running Ubuntu or Ubuntu / BT4, and will be hosting multiple virtual machines for testing. Due to the VMs I need a pretty hefty CPU and Memory capacity, hopefully without sacrificing mobility & battery life.

I want to get something that has a really well supported wireless chipset able to scan, go promiscuous, act as an access point etc.

Acer Aspire 3810 Timeline looks ok, unsure about the wi-fi chipset though.

There's also the HP Envy 15 (Intel i7 w/ 16GB Ram) but it may as well be a desktop with the heat and > 2 hr battery life.

In a different direction I do have access to a network of XenServer Host machines at my work, so it would be possible to setup my testing VMs there as long as I had a decent connection to access them, however to access the network I'd have to connect over VPN, which could get back to wireless support I suppose.

What suggestions do other people have?

Edited by wizzy

Buy a laptop based on your needs for VM's etc, and then get a Ubiquiti or Alfa adaptor for your wireless cracking needs. Your not going to be able to find a decent adaptor otherwise, as most firms will use either broadcom or intel wireless as standard.

If an external adapter is an option.

I'm the owner of an EEE 1000h, not suited for VM's but besides that, I was looking for an external WLAN adapter with a lot of power and it must be cheap.

Check this one out

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.27963

It's based on a RTL8187L chipset, I don't have it, still on it's way but the reviews of other people are well promising.

Here's a nice review of the product:

http://www.dealextreme.com/forums/Default....threadid.537069

Most laptops come with broadcom chipsets. When purchasing a new laptop, I usually look for the best specs based on what I am going to be doing and then just replace the wireless card if I need. Not to mention most external cards have the option of attaching external antennas for more range/versatility.

WlanParts is great for new wireless equipment. Ebay is great for used equipment. :)

Edited by fsck