Show Us Your Antique Tech!

BuckoA51

Let's see your best obsolete tech that you would never think of selling/throwing out, here's my old Commodore 128, I bet you guys have way more interesting things though:-

4416752449_82c63cd13e.jpg

Apologies if this has been done before, I did not manage to dig up anything on a search.

Nice to see lots of Commodore users :) I have an Amiga too but its almost unrecognisable as an Amiga since it started life as an A1200 but I modded it into a tower and added graphics cards and stuff. Sweet machine still runs ok, was a sad day when Commodore went under!

Ah Spectrum, the arch enemy of the C64 (well at least in the UK)

I am surprised nobody has any old servers or SGI workstations or VAX's or anything!

i miss my old sgi 320 with dual PIII-1000Mhz runnning advance server.

with the onboard video hardware it was great for editing and looked really cool compared to friends bland boxes

also may i add my first comp was a vic 20 i used to love that machine

Edited by tactix

Ah Spectrum, the arch enemy of the C64 (well at least in the UK)

I am surprised nobody has any old servers or SGI workstations or VAX's or anything!

We got rid of our last VAX a few years ago. My company used to create video cards for SGI. I've got an old SGI O2 at home with one in it.

How about an Alpha powered system running a custom OS that almost nobody still knows? Oh, it's also still in use. We have a back up machine sitting in a box just in case this one takes a crap.

AlphaServer.jpg

Good lord. Is that stored in a closet somewhere, out of sight, out of mind? :D

Actually that's the corner of our server room. To the right is the giant ass ups system that doesn't work. The box on top is the spare Nortel phones.

What's funny, or sad, depends on how you look at it, is that Alpha is serving a service that's used world wide for our company! It's going to be a really bad day when it and it's spare kicks the bucket.

@BuckoA51, This system is running a customized version of VMS, since our companies hardware used to run on VAX systems. Like I said before, there's only three or four people in the world that know the system real well, and two of them work in my office. Both of them are old enough to be my dad.

Edited by barry99705

Wow. I guess it just shows you that old antique tech can have a use! It is going to hurt like hell when that thing finally dies.

(Which is why the network at work is running a PDC with NT4 *shudder*)

Edited by Charles

I love the antique tech, and the Hak.5 community got me back into it. I am a lurker when it comes to the forums, but I couldn't resist this thread. Because I have been studying information presented here, it rekindled a desire to explore some old computing styles, and I picked up an Apple IIe on eBay and decided to see what I could do with it. It's fun to see how much that I took for granted about computers just wasn't there.

Of course I have learned a lot as well, researching how to do things with the system, how it compares to other systems of the day and so forth. One of the more fun things I have come across is the RetroChallenge. Basically it is a competition based on taking obsolete equipment and making it do something unexpected.

Here are some shots of my Antique Tech:

Rig.jpg

I still make calls on that rotary phone that sits proudly high a top the Hayes Ultra SmartModem 9600. Yes, as in 9600 baud. Last month I called the 30 or so Dial-Up BBS's that are still online. It's like walking into a museum with no people in it.

slots.png

I populated the Apple II's slots with a variety of peripherals, including the Uthernet card that gives me internet and networking capabilities and the 128MB CF flash drive that seems like a limitless void to store data in from an 8-bit perspective. I was also able to get my hands on a ZipChip that overclocks the machine by a factor of 8. You read that right, a factor of 8. Now, this baby screams at 8MHz.

eee6502.png

In Technolust We Trust.

I have been posting about my experiences for about a year or so for anyone that is interested, you can read my log at www.AppleSlices.info.

An apple 2, or Apple ][, I always loved those, the keyboard was ace, first computer I ever used (Apple 2 Europlus) at the tender age of 4. I also remember destroying one by plugging in a Z80 card with the power still turned on, at the tender age of 8-ish :)

Edited by BuckoA51