Web Hosting Suggestions?

null_x86

Hey Guys, Anyone got any ideas for a good web host? I'm currently with GoDaddy and hate them. Domain.com looks good, but they're expensive. HostGator is what I am looking at right now, but then I read their TOS.

•Hacker focused sites/archives/programs
- Not Allowed. I called up their Support line to get some info, and they just gave me their scripted line of "blah blah blah, no illegal content", so I asked them if I gave a tutorial on how to jailbreak an iPhone or root a Droid, would that violate TOS, and they said yes. I would be going with HostGator because they have unlimited disk space and unlimted bandwidth, but their TOS is restrictive. Anyone know any good Web Hosts that have a decent price for unlimited data and bandwidth and a less restrictive TOS?

Dreamhost or Dotster

Edited by digip

• 4 months later...

On worse case scenario, build your own webserver.

May I ask why you dislike GoDaddy? I use them a lot for domain registration and email relay but have never hosted any websites with them (I've been thinking about using them for up coming projects)

I had a .co.uk domain that had one month left, and godaddy wouldn't let me transfer it to another registrar. I didn't see there being any point in ringing them up or emailing them, as the whole purpose of an account control panel is so the customer has control over everything. Obviously not in my case.

In the end I cancelled the domain through Nominet (for UK domains) and got it again from gandi.net, where I used a free voucher.

I had a .co.uk domain that had one month left, and godaddy wouldn't let me transfer it to another registrar. I didn't see there being any point in ringing them up or emailing them, as the whole purpose of an account control panel is so the customer has control over everything. Obviously not in my case.

In the end I cancelled the domain through Nominet (for UK domains) and got it again from gandi.net, where I used a free voucher.

I am very happy with discountasp.net.

Dreamhost was my second choice but discountasp.net had the price advantage.

If you want to go dedicated server route, I have never had a better experience than with Rackspace. I have two servers with them right now and have never waited more than 15 minutes to get support on anything/everything.

They have cloud hosting as well which is cheaper and on a cloud environment. The downside to this is they don't provide you with shell access or the ability to load your own software etc.