Hosting Services

Gadget 85

I've been looking all around the web for good shell accounts. In the process I've come accross several names. You have your basic Web Hosting, then there is VPS, then there is Shell, then Dedicated servers, Seedboxes, XDCC, etc... you see where I'm going. Oh and vhosting which I don't know what that is. My question is what is vhosting and is there a difference from a shell account and a vps or are they the same?

Actually all of them are confusing to me can someone break them down and explain them because I think this is where wikipedia fails.

Edited by Gadget 85

Shell means the ability to login remotely, like via ssh to a command prompt with full access to you server or its share. VPS is Virtual Private Server, which may or may not offer shell access, but is one physical machine cut into slices sort of like a pie, to make many smaller machines, each having their own dedicated resources that can run independently of one another and allocated space, ram, cpu, etc.

Edited by digip

Shell means the ability to login remotely, like via ssh to a command prompt with full access to you server or its share. VPS is Virtual Private Server, which may or may not offer shell access, but is one physical machine cut into slices sort of like a pie, to make many smaller machines, each having their own dedicated resources that can run independently of one another and allocated space, ram, cpu, etc.

What are some good hosting sites for shell accounts then.

I personally like Dream-host. SSH shell access, secure-FTP, and SCP included. Decent uptime and great support compared to some hosts I have worked with. YMMV, but I have had nothing but good things to say about them. If your email or site is down, login to your dream-host panel and file a ticket and its usually resolved within a few hours. They also have a nice blog to let you know when they are taking servers down, so you can see when your site may be down for maintenance before it happens.

Also, unlimited hosting, so all you pay for is one site's cost, and as many domain names as you want(9.99/yr per domain), and all the other hosted sites are included in the cost of just 1 site, giving you as many sites as you want for the cost of 1 hosting package + each domain name registration. Other hosts charge extra for unlimited hosting as well as unlimited space, as where dreamhost includes it at a low cost to begin with.