Question for Linux Guru's out there

roo-boy

Hey guys

I know some of you have Unix running thru ur blood stream, but i have been playing around with linux for a little while now, and over here in australia at news agencies theres these Linux Magazines popping up everywere. Are these magazines any good? do they have the content and expert opinions like the normal PC/windows mags do??

Or are these guys just trying to cash in on the Linux market thats for ever growing?

Thanks in advance

Can't you walk into a store and browse through them?

The only time I buy a Linux magazine is when I have to pick my parents up at the airport and I have some time to kill there. The ones I deem worthy of my money tend to have this content:

50% ads

20% software review

10% distro update (yawn)

5% software tutorial

5% hardware product review using Linux

5% letters

5% other stuff

I'd like less ads of course, but when it's in print I don't mind them as much, and they keep the price of the magazine down.

Hey guys

I know some of you have Unix running thru ur blood stream, but i have been playing around with linux for a little while now, and over here in australia at news agencies theres these Linux Magazines popping up everywere. Are these magazines any good? do they have the content and expert opinions like the normal PC/windows mags do??

Or are these guys just trying to cash in on the Linux market thats for ever growing?

Thanks in advance

Well first of all if you want "info" about linux, there are defenately plenty plenty plenty of website which goes from the "general" (overview of linux) to being more specific... so if you want to even not buy anything, it's completely fine with what's online, i can give you some links if you're interrested.

About books and magazines... well i will say buy a book instead of a magazine... I mean... seriously the magazine will just maybe give you some tips, some more how to's (which you find easely online), but then a book is much more solid, a bit expensive, but worth the money - the linux books of Oreilly are great and seriously if you are new to linux, try Linux for dummies... we all started somewhere :oops: :oops:

anyway... ask more if you need help....