Power Socket Size Of A Fonera + 2201?

aeiah

I have a fonera + (fon 2201) that's due to arrive monday but im hoping to get to maplin for some electronic goodness before im at work again. Can anyone tell me what size power socket this thing uses?

im planning on buying a few of the male plugs and attaching one to a battery pack and one to a usb socket. it seems a better method than soldering onto the board to provide alternative power sources.

looking forward to getting this thing hacked. its gonna be a UK model of course, unless they send me an easy one by mistake, but hopefully i can learn and help others here as i start modding away :lol:

no, nothing to do with PoE. ill gimp some images together :)

usb power:

dctousb.jpg

battery power:

dctobattery.jpg

doing it this way means im not soldering onto the fonera board and provides a modular way of providing power. id just like to know what size DC plug this thing uses since i won't have mine until monday, yet would like to buy the parts over the weekend, whilst im not at work.

I'm also curious about this question so I can do the same thing as OP

well i went on my shopping spree all the same. there are too many DC plugs with very little difference between them but im guessing we'd need either a 5mm or 5.2mm. when my fon arrives ill get it measured and post it here unless someone who owns both a ruler and a fon decide to help.

i think the way im gonna tackle it is gonna be slightly different to how i illustrated. the best method is probably:

item1: a dc plug to male usb adaptor

item2: a battery pack with a usb female socket.

this way you can do either fon-item1-item2 for battery power or fon-item1-laptop for usb power, and can extend both easily with the same usb extension cable.

I believe that they are 2.1mm center positive. You can buy these types of cables if you look. I happened to have Dlink Pocket router which has a USB to DC jack uses the same size connector.

thanks beakmyn. helpfully, maplin provide two sockets with an inside diameter of 2.1mm : one with an outside diameter of 5mm and one with 5.5mm. [source]

i don't mind waiting until i have a fon in my hands to find out now since i won't be going over that side of the city again in the next few days. ill post here which type it is.

Well.. at least we are both speaking about power some how ;-D

I found connector for my fon box from other "chargers"... so sometimes you can find right connector really cheap somewhere when you just keep your eyes open.

Well.. at least we are both speaking about power some how ;-D

I found connector for my fon box from other "chargers"... so sometimes you can find right connector really cheap somewhere when you just keep your eyes open.

yea, the standard 3mm nokia ones fit, but sadly the nokia chargers only pump 5.7v 800ma, and 800ma doesn't seem to be enough. the fon lights up and seems to work but i can never connect to it over wifi. this is a little troubling as usb should only be expected to draw 500ma current. anyone use usb power with a fonera +?

yea, the standard 3mm nokia ones fit, but sadly the nokia chargers only pump 5.7v 800ma, and 800ma doesn't seem to be enough. the fon lights up and seems to work but i can never connect to it over wifi. this is a little troubling as usb should only be expected to draw 500ma current. anyone use usb power with a fonera +?

Yes, and it seemed to work without any issues. The Fonera should operate down to a little over 3.3 volts. It depends what the specs on the voltage regulator is inside. Haven't looked.

Yes, and it seemed to work without any issues. The Fonera should operate down to a little over 3.3 volts. It depends what the specs on the voltage regulator is inside. Haven't looked.

hmm, must be another issue then. yea, i know you don't need the full 7.2V or whatever the stock adaptor pumps out due to the regulator, that's why i assumed it was a current issue. maybe i just have a crap nokia adaptor.

• 3 months later...

usb power:

battery power:

doing it this way means im not soldering onto the fonera board and provides a modular way of providing power. id just like to know what size DC plug this thing uses since i won't have mine until monday, yet would like to buy the parts over the weekend, whilst im not at work.

So can I just cut the leads from a power supply, wire them on to a USB plug for power and ground, and plug one side to my laptop, the other to my FON and not blow it up? or is it more complicated.

So can I just cut the leads from a power supply, wire them on to a USB plug for power and ground, and plug one side to my laptop, the other to my FON and not blow it up? or is it more complicated.

That is pretty much the basic idea. Just make sure you get your + and -'s right on both ends. Or you will damage the fon. I personally went forging around at work and found an adapter that fit my font that was just the DC Power plug with 2 wires. So I dont have to cut my original fon PS. Also i got a battery holster i could use as well. I might make that have a USB F plug so i can choose USB power or battery.