Backtrack 4 Wireless Driver Install

M.Lightning

Here is my problem, I have a Alfa AWUS050NH wireless adapter. I do not want to use it for aircrack I just want to connect to the internet with it. The driver set it came with has a install script but when I try to run it it says "Permission Denied". How can this be? I am running BT4 as root. Whats the deal. Can someone give me very detail instructions on getting this thing to work. Thank you much.

Are you sure you are root? Try sudo before the command. If that doesnt work, then somethign in the script might be off.

Also, you may not need to install anything. Have you tried "ifconfig -a" to see if the card is even listed? Do a dmesg then plug in the card and run it again. Does the log change, see anything or get errors. Try lsusb too.

Thanks you for the replys. I am logged in as Root and I have tried sudo. I have also tried see if it is in if config. None of these are working. The command I am using is ./install.sh. I am trying to install the Ralink 2870sta drivers with the webGUI. The ./install.sh command is returning "Permission Denied".

I am running BT4 Final but it now keeps using the rt2500 drivers. I don't need the WebUI it is the one that had the install script and the one I happened to get. But ifconfig -a sees ra0 as the interface now but not the right driver. Also iwconfig returns "ra0 Ralink STA".

Edited by M.Lightning

http://www.backtrack-linux.org/bt/wireless-drivers/

Maybe find a better supported card. I dont think they are going to have great support for it, since BT4 mainly gears stuff for pentesting, not standard web surfing.

Edited by digip

Thank you for your responses. Backtrack 4 has the driver I need included. It is just that the card is defaulting to the wrong driver. Is there a way of forcing it to use a different driver? The 2870sta which it is supposed to use instead of the rt2500.

You can modprobe -r the other wrong driver, then modprobe the correct driver to load it, but if its defaulting to the other driver, maybe you are incorrect as to what chipset you have in the card itself.

How do I go about this modprobe? Thanks

It depends on the drivers identification within linux.

For example, my linksys corresponds to rt73, so I do "modprobe rt73" to load the driver. In BT4, it was initially loadting the rt73USB drivers (which dont work for what I need and I use the rt73 enhanced drivers).

I deleted all references to the rt73usb drivers that BT4 came with, then installed the rt73 drivers I needed. In order to do that, I had to "modprobe -r rt73usb" to unload the default installe drivers for the card, delete the drivers (ko files) and all links referenceing it, then did "updatedb", then installed the new drivers and then after plugging in the card for the first time modprobe rt73. After that, it always detects when i plug it in. If the card hangs or crashes on me(which is rare now that I have the better drivers), I shut ifconfig the card down, do modprobe -r rt73, remove the card, insert, then modprobe rt73 to load the driver again and ifconfig it back up.

What identifier your card uses can probably be found in dmesg after you insert the card. it should have something in there that identifies the usb device and hopefully what id goes with the card to modprobe it with. Not sure if lsusb shows the same id, but you can try that too after inserting the card.

Edited by digip

I tried the preceeding but it did not seem to work. What does the identifier have to with anything?

The identifier lets you modprobe to load or unload the driver associated with the identifier. Once unloaded, you can delete it and all files associate with it, then install the driver you want, then modprobe to load the new driver. BT4 might just have the wrong driver associated with your cards identifier, which is pointing to the wrong driver.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Modprobe

Edited by digip

Try a "locate rt2500" and it should list all references to it and any files with that in the name. Usually there are two files you need to rename, a .ko and a .bin file, but you might see some .c, .h, etc, for the source files. These wont hurt anything to leave them.

I would rename the files from something like rt2500xxx.ko to rt2500xxx.ko.old or whatever the name is. xxx just being generic part of the name, not the actual name. This way if you cant get the other drivers working, you can revert back. If this is a live disc, well, you will have to do this every time you load BT4, its not going to save yoru changes unless its a thumbdrive with persistent changes or hdd install.

After you rename the files, run updatedb to fix links and references to the driver. Then, install the new driver, do your modprobe for whatever ID the card uses and then go from there. One way to find the ID too, is look at the ini, or inf file for the windows install drivers. Open it in notepad and usually the id is listed in there and matches the same thing you use in linux. For mine, it was the same id, rt73 in both windows and linux, so I imagine the firmware on the card responds to this, which is also why I was wondering if you card is the correct one you say it is. If BT4 recognizes it as the one, it probably has a reason.

Edited by digip

• 1 year later...

chmod +x install.sh

Thanks you for the replys. I am logged in as Root and I have tried sudo. I have also tried see if it is in if config. None of these are working. The command I am using is ./install.sh. I am trying to install the Ralink 2870sta drivers with the webGUI. The ./install.sh command is returning "Permission Denied".