Host Names On A Lan?

Corrosion.

I plan to setup a large lan.

I would like to have hostnames within the lan (there would be no internet access)

For example I know if I edit my hosts file with a line like

127.0.0.1 example.lan

When I goto example.lan in my browser I'm redirected to my localhost

The issue with this is that in order for this to work lan-wide I'd have to modify that file

on every pc on the network.

So how can I make it so that I can create a so called tld within my lan and have it accissble accrossed the lan.

Now heres the tricky part, I'd like to have a web interface allowing anyone on the network to create a domain that connects to their ip address. Any ideas?

By "domain" do you mean a separate group of machines, or something else?

You would need to set up a server to host DNS and probably DHCP as well, and whatever other stuff you want the network to have access to.

You can run a linux server, using BIND dns for free, just need a machine to put it on.

Bind sounds good thanks :)

The big issue now is trying to figure out how to get a web based remote interface for it. So users and assign a domain/hostname to their pc if they choose to run a server

I think you might have confused what a domain is. In relations to computer networks it's a collection of machines with one centralized security manager.

Since the network won't be on the internet, all you would need to do is set up a workgroup and DNS will handle name resolution for you.

The only thing you would need to do is come up with a naming scheme that'll work for you.

When I talk about domains I'm speaking of tld's ex: hak5.org is a domain. I know that domains on a network are different. I'm working to create domains such as hak5.org within a lan.

Which I did figure out, just need a web based interface so anyone can make one on the lan

Linux for the free DNS and Apache for the web based stuff. If each machine is to host a website, then each machine will need apache installed on them and then add their info on the dns server so everyone else can see all the internal websites/servers or whatever services you host on each machine.

There is also http://www.simpledns.com/ for doing dns on windows boxes without server 2003, etc. I never tried it, but supposed to be simple to use (Not free though).

Thanks simpledns looks great... Dunno how I would get a web based interface though to add domain entries, see I want anyone to be able to add a domain to the dns from their own machines

Just set up RDP on the DNS server and then login to edit DNS. Dont make things difficult for yourself trying to do it in a browsers. Im not saying it cant be done, but dont reinven the wheel. If you want it in a browser, write some sort of web app or php script to interface with the server backend. You then need to write something that could easily be done just logging into the box remotely and fix in a few minites.