Router

7h3kk1d

I'm picking a router for my dorm room and have 3 major options in line. The router is for my dorm room's internet and to hook up my desktop/server to my LAN. I need to be able to hook up my Xbox 360, Desktop, roommates desktop all up via gigabit ports and my macbook pro and various other wifi devices need to be able to be connected via wifi. The Macbook pro is N-enabled. I would like some pretty good control on packet management and definite flexibility on setting up proxies and port forwarding. Any other ideas you guys suggest I'll look at

option 1: Get a flashable wireless g router for cheap then buy a gigabit switch

option 2: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833122326

option 3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16833122334 which is flashable with dd-wrt

I think option 3 looks the best but I definitely want your opinions.

Depending on how fast the dorm internet is you would probably be better off getting a cheapo wireless G router and flashing it with DD-WRT, and using a gigabit switch for the main connections. That's what I do at home, except I use a Dlink Wireless N router with factory firmware.

I did find this one here: Linksys WRT320N

Which says it's flashable with DD-WRT.

Personally I like to stick to Linksys/Cisco routers, I've not tried Netgear, but the dlink I have ended up breaking a bunch of stuff when I updated the firmware on it. The only way to fix it was to hack the bin file for the firmware so I could revert it. Offtopic.. but... something to think about, even if you are thinking about using a Netgear.