Ardrone Hack

Darkmist!

so i was looking at the ARdrone from one of the latest hak5 episodes and was wondering if someone could make the data go through a 3g connection instead of the iphones wifi connection. this would potentially give the ARDrone an unlimited range as long as it was within cellphone range. maybe get a device that takes the signals going to and from the wifi card and pass them through a 3g device and just create a connection via SSH or VPN to the iphone.

its just a rough idea but if it could be done it would be amazing. i know im getting an ARDrone as soon as they are released

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
You essentially could do that, but doesn't it seem a little tedious to do so? There's got to be an easier way - though at the moment I don't have an iPhone or I'd look through it.

well the things not even released to the public yet for purchase. so all i can do is look and dream. but if it only has wifi support for broadcasting the signal to the iphone then without replacing hardware you would have to capture that signal and tunnel it to the phone

well the things not even released to the public yet for purchase. so all i can do is look and dream. but if it only has wifi support for broadcasting the signal to the iphone then without replacing hardware you would have to capture that signal and tunnel it to the phone

$1200.00 will get you a developer model.... I really hope they are cheaper when they come out. :blink:

Guest Deleted_Account

wow! i would do that if it works out that would be the ultimate prank lol fly over friends house and call her and tell her exactly what shes doing :P :ph34r:

I am really into this whole thing of remote control vehicles. And that would be an awesome idea. You might also want to add some small solar panels to extend the operational time.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account
I am really into this whole thing of remote control vehicles. And that would be an awesome idea. You might also want to add some small solar panels to extend the operational time.

Ha that would be great but you would have to balance the Ardrone out wouldnt you? so it isnt heavy on side and doesnt fly straight :P. Does anyone know when these are being released? i cant wait to get my hands on one maybe we could figure a way to allow a laptop to control instead of just an iphone add a bigger wifi antenna (2.4Ghz?) and increase our range with out an iphone on it? I would much rather a PC as the controller personally since that way i could have video in "Full Screen" and with a nice joystick it would be real nice :P not to mention recording the feed :)

I could use this to watch my dog lol :P

Ha that would be great but you would have to balance the Ardrone out wouldnt you? so it isnt heavy on side and doesnt fly straight :P. Does anyone know when these are being released? i cant wait to get my hands on one maybe we could figure a way to allow a laptop to control instead of just an iphone add a bigger wifi antenna (2.4Ghz?) and increase our range with out an iphone on it? I would much rather a PC as the controller personally since that way i could have video in "Full Screen" and with a nice joystick it would be real nice :P not to mention recording the feed :)

I could use this to watch my dog lol :P

Of course you would have to balance it out, just like anything that flies, must have its gravity in the center or it will cause stability issues.

But I like your idea of controlling it from a computer, always wanted to do that before with a RC airplane.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account
Of course you would have to balance it out, just like anything that flies, must have its gravity in the center or it will cause stability issues.

But I like your idea of controlling it from a computer, always wanted to do that before with a RC airplane.

Good point :P i guess i was pointing at the obvious :P as for the computer once its out and we can see how it ticks maybe/hopefully all it will take is a bit of python scripting or something. I mean we would have to make the Ardrone think that the key press is actually an iphone/itouch accelerometer and then react accordingly which would take sometime to get to work. The first step would be getting a successful connection. i am going to guess that there will be some form of authentication between the iphone app and Drone. Which we would replicate/forge it from the computer. I doubt it would be actually encrypted or anything probably a handshake or at best WEP (but it would have to p reconfigured wouldnt it? so the app/iphone and drone know the code but the user doesnt). If it is just a 2-way handshake im sure it wouldnt be too hard to forge. But then again we may get lucky and it may have no authentication at all :P

anyways after we can connect we would have to find out how to send commands and then eventually receive video and map the controls (not necessary in that order though :P)

Oh and correct me if my theory is off at all :P all suggestions are welcome :)

Good point :P i guess i was pointing at the obvious :P as for the computer once its out and we can see how it ticks maybe/hopefully all it will take is a bit of python scripting or something. I mean we would have to make the Ardrone think that the key press is actually an iphone/itouch accelerometer and then react accordingly which would take sometime to get to work. The first step would be getting a successful connection. i am going to guess that there will be some form of authentication between the iphone app and Drone. Which we would replicate/forge it from the computer. I doubt it would be actually encrypted or anything probably a handshake or at best WEP (but it would have to p reconfigured wouldnt it? so the app/iphone and drone know the code but the user doesnt). If it is just a 2-way handshake im sure it wouldnt be too hard to forge. But then again we may get lucky and it may have no authentication at all :P

anyways after we can connect we would have to find out how to send commands and then eventually receive video and map the controls (not necessary in that order though :P)

Oh and correct me if my theory is off at all :P all suggestions are welcome :)

What we need is a device that is capable of converting/sending signals coming from or to the cell phone, into some form of control, like climbing or descending.

Edited by Infiltrator

no one thinks this is cool?

i think it would be sweet. be able to fly it a couple miles before the battery died.

i cant wait for its release

Or like I mentioned before, install some solar panels, so you can extend your flight times.

Edited by Infiltrator

Guest Deleted_Account
What we need is a device that is capable of converting/sending signals coming from or to the cell phone, into some form of control, like climbing or descending.

Ah i didnt even think of that i was only thinking of a direct connection between the comp and drone. but that may be easier alternative :)

• 1 year later...