iTunes and CD drive partitions on USB drives

NegativeSpace

I have this iTunes playlist that I would like to copy to one of my laptops, which is something that I have never attempted to do before. I want to play this music in ExpressGate, but I'm pretty darn sure that the factory music player won't play an .mp4 and modifying it to do so is something that I don't have any interest in doing at the moment. My first thought was to burn the music files as mp3 onto a dvd, because the playlist is quite long, and it would probably take 5 or 6 cd's, but itunes does not have a built in tool to add the files to a dvd as mp3, though it will place the mp4 files onto a dvd. This got me to thinking....... I think it would be very cool, seeing as how iTunes has such a stranglehold on peoples music libraries, if one could trick iTunes into believing that the CD partition on certain USB drives was an actual CD drive, so that playlists could be "burned" onto that partition in great file sizes, rather than using blank CD's to make hard copies of pieces of iTunes libraries for transfer to other computers without iTunes/mp4 playing software. I don't know much about the possibility of doing this but it would be cool to hear some ideas.

Why not just:

Set iTunes import settings to MP3

Right-click on the songs in the playlist

Select "Convert to MP3"

?

I'm not sure that I understand what you are suggesting. Are you saying that I should re-import all of the song in the play list as MP3? I don't get it. There's no option in context to convert a selection to MP3, and changing the import options only helps me if I haven't already imported the music in the play list from CD. As this is the Hacks and Mods section, I was thinking of this more in terms of "what can I do with the CD drive partition of a USB drive in an iTunes play list?", because the copying of the play list is not that big of a deal for me. I mean I do want to copy it, but I'll figure that out eventually when I have time and motivation. What I'm more interested in is being able to 'burn' a play list onto an 8GB or 16GB USB flash drive, but I don't know if it's possible or not. I don't have any USB drives with CD partition's on them, so I can't just try it myself without adding a CD partition, which i've never done before and am not sure of how to do right off the top of my head. If you do know of a way to copy my play list, please do share though.