Best Buy PC Optimization

subl1m1nal

I slack off usually and don't bother unless it's a crapware laptop (which I haven't dealt with in a while). Since all the machines I have at home are built by me (minus an old dell that was a referb that was sysprep'd), they have no bloatware or garbage on them. :D

Usually for those it is:

Run PC Decrapifier.

Uninstall anything it missed.

Install a decent free antivirus (I use Avast)

Do Windows updates and whatnot

Install flash and java

Install Chrome/FF/Opera

???

Profit!

EDIT: I don't use msconfig all that much in Vista/7, it's mostly services.smc that I use instead.

Clean install would work way better, but since I don't have a copy of (insert OS here) that doesn't happen.

Every machine I buy that is preinstalled, I wipe it out and install windows myself. You never know what has been unboxed or messed with by someone else, nor do you need all the crapware that comes with them. Especially if it was on the floor at some point, you dont know whos plugged what into it or created a back door, root kit, etc.

Its kind of well known, people mess with these machines while they are on the floor, so if you were lucky enough to have bought one that was already opened and on display at some point, format that machine before doing anything else.

Problem is, now adays, they dont give you an install disc with a new machine, purposely so you are stuck with the shit they put on them from the factory or in store extra "optimizations" as they call it.

Good point Psychosis. That's actually what I did recently with a couple of netbooks I purchased for my wife and me.

Charles - how do you like that PC decrapifier? Does it work pretty good? I just heard about it today.

I've used it maybe once, on an Acer I bought. It did a decent job, but I still had to remove a bunch of garbage.

Just re-install, otherwise your spending half a day picking crap out of the system and tweaking useless things.

If I had a Windows 7 ISO or what OS I would need to install that would work with a manufacturer's key, I definitely would do that.

Every machine I buy that is preinstalled, I wipe it out and install windows myself. You never know what has been unboxed or messed with by someone else, nor do you need all the crapware that comes with them. Especially if it was on the floor at some point, you dont know whos plugged what into it or created a back door, root kit, etc.

Its kind of well known, people mess with these machines while they are on the floor, so if you were lucky enough to have bought one that was already opened and on display at some point, format that machine before doing anything else.

Problem is, now adays, they dont give you an install disc with a new machine, purposely so you are stuck with the shit they put on them from the factory or in store extra "optimizations" as they call it.

Yeah, that annoys the crap out of me. I bought a Compaq machine back in 2003, and it came with a "restore CD" and a "Windows XP Operating System CD" I was able to reinstall Windows from the OS cd without any problems. Pretty shitty that they don't do that any more.

If you have the correct install disk you can just pikey valid *unused* keys from the OEM stickers on corp or edu PC's. Each box is sold with a license for Windows and every org I've ever known just wipes and images the SA licensed Windows image they use. Yeah, its theft but in the scheme of things who really cares? Additionally, Home Premium Windows 7 is £80, if you can afford a PC you can afford that, or you can get a key from somewhere (find a place that uses MAK keys and obtain a copy of the Enterprise ISO) if you know what your doing, or you can use Linux. Where there is a will, there is a way, and its far better than using whatever shite came pre-loaded.

I agree. When I do get a laptop, I'm probably got to go grab an OEM copy of W7 Home Premium or Pro (not sure exactly) and wipe it clean and reinstall. Having a machine loaded with junk sucks big time.

Just use something like DoubleDriver to backup all the OEM drivers that came with it. This way you dont have trouble during the re-install. Laptop drivers can be a pain in the ass to find.

Just use something like DoubleDriver to backup all the OEM drivers that came with it. This way you dont have trouble during the re-install. Laptop drivers can be a pain in the ass to find.

Thank you so much! That looks like an awesome utility. I agree, they can be a major pain in the ass to find.

I remove all anti-virus software. Then I only web surf or run network apps in limited user mode. Not having anti-virus, anti-malware real time protection nearly doubles the speed of the computer.

Then I watch what I install, like an accountant watches pennies.

I wouldn't recommend this for normal users, though.

Another option would be to install AV software but only run it manually from time to time. As long as it never scans, updates its defs, or runs resident in memory unless you tell it to, it would be just as fast.

• 3 weeks later...

If you want a way to get almost unlimited legal copies of Microsoft products for your own use, you can get a TechNet Subscription. It costs around $250.00 but you get license keys for most Microsoft products plus an Enterprise key for Windows 7. It also makes it easy to get clean ISO images as well.

Thought that was only for eval software as stated here: "TechNet Plus Direct and TechNet Plus Single User are licensed to individuals. Software provided through the subscription is for evaluation purposes and cannot be used in a live production environment."

$349 for a year, if you don't already have a subscription.

They are legit full licenses, which you can't use for your company and you can't use for home use. However, your a geek, Mircosoft are happy they are getting some cash from people who would otherwise pirate it.

i just got a technet subscription. 250 bucks

use the code TNITE01 to take off 100 bucks.

access to all microsoft OS's. its sweet. 10 licenses per software title