no ics and webif bricks fon

Been at this most of the day again...... <_<

If I use the settings static ip and bridged connection in webif I can get " half-internet" and a connected client will show an IP and mac address in the jasager interface. (ip used 192.168.0.2)

If I use the settings DHCP and bridged connection in webif I can get "half internet" but a connected client only shows a mac address NOT any IP in the jasager interface. (ip used 192.168.0.250)

:)

However on a brighter note I mentioned earlier that when I used webif to change the DHCP and IP settings and applied them I lost access to the fon.

Do this to regain access:

plug the fon into your router and go to your router log in page....Browse "connected devices" and you will see the fon and the Ip it was assigned....use this ip to regain access to webif,jasager,putty etc.

:rolleyes:

I am now at a total loss as to why I can only get "half internet".....even after a fresh flashing??

:huh: oh woe is me....lol HELP!!!!

remove webgui and you should have eough room http://www.frontiernet.net/~beakmyn/Jasage...pt_Install.html

Well, I don't think I'm going to be much help... I'm so fed up with trying to get this thing connected through ics that i'm ready to throw it at the wall, lol. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread for a solution. I'm using Windows 7 btw. I had no problem setting this up in XP though...

Running out of ideas now folks I have tried and tried again.Used different tutorials,operating systems,DHCP,static IP,tried my own ideas,pinged from here,pinged from there.......on the up google is still accessible! lol. :rolleyes:

I don't know how much more this poor little fon+ can take!

Thought it was a DNS issue.... not so as far as I can see (if you can prove me wrong then please do so) :D

Ping anything from the fon....no response. (not even 4.2.2.2) Indicating ICS is not correctly set....can't see where.

Ping anything from a connected client and you get a response.

connected clients can use google only.

If anybody does know why I can not enable ICS 100% through this fon please nudge me in the right direction so I can seek answers. :blink: pleeeeease.

thanx B)

I'm trying to catch up on posts so just skim read this and the main thing that jumped out at me was you said your network was around 192.168.0.0 but then you set your default gateway to 192.168.1.1. This isn't on that subnet so your machine won't know how to get to it. If it can't get to the gateway then it won't be able to get outside.

Your gateway needs to be on the same subnet as the rest of the machines.

Thanks for the reply digininja :D

:) Had another go today and started over again as I think I muddled myself up...lol. If I set out what I have done it may be easier for problems to be spotted. One thing I do know is that it is NOT an ICS setting problem with my laptop.Plug another laptop into the ethernet nic on my ICS machine and it shares 100%...no problem.

OK here is what I have done so far......

home router settings (my AP for the internet)

IP: 192.168.1.1

Sub mask:255.255.255.0

(router set as DHCP on)

ICS laptop (configured ok)

Ethernet nic (fon connected to) IP: 192 168.0.1 (automatically set by windows in ICS set up, can not be changed)

Preferred dns server: 192.168.1.1

FON+ settings (wireless has been enabled with commands)

uci set network.lan.ipaddr= 192.168.0.2

uci set network.lan.gateway= 192.168.0.1

uci set network.lan.dns= 192.168.1.1

uci commit network

Then in /etc/config/dhcp...under the section config dhcp lan using vi editor I have added:

list 'dhcp_option' '3,192.168.0.1'

list 'dhcp_option' '6,192.168.1.1'

Saved and exited using ZZ command.

Any errors yet?..................................

What I plan to do next,if no errors.,and I don't know if this is right or not:

Using webif set the lan to DHCP with a bridged connection and an IP of 192.168.0.2

No doubt I will get locked out of the fon as a "mystery" IP will be assigned to it after doing this in webif.

Plug fon into my router,locate "mystery" IP,and on another machine on my network log in to webif on that IP and reset the fons IP to 192.168.0.2 (I think lol).......But I would probably use putty to do this thinking about it.

Does DHCP have to be enabled by command using putty or did the webif gui do it when I set the lan to DHCP?

The reason I ask this is that I have found a command line on the forum to start DHCP but I am not sure if it for linux machines or to be used in putty on the fon......

The command is this:

/usr/sbin/dnsmasq -K -d -F 192.168.0.100,192.168.0.200 (IP examples are what I think I would use)

I apologise for being such a pain but with the help of the experienced members I will get there in the end.

thanx for all the help so far :)

LATE EDIT.......Could this be my problem

uci set network.lan.dns 192.168.1.1

and

list 'dhcp_option' '6,192.168.1.1'

should they both be on 192.168.0.1 ??

Just a late thought.

I'm confused as to how that could be the problem though. I followed the tutorial at

http://hak5.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=12963

while i was running XP and had no problems. I switch to Windows 7 and then have this problem. I'm using a Fon 2100 with the newest version of Jasager. Opinions?

I'm confused too :unsure:

If I change my lan gateway from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.1.1

The fon will not connect to my ICS laptop as the nic it is connected to on that laptop is automatically configured to 192.168.0.1 by windows and it can not be changed.

If I manually change the nic on my ICS laptop to 192.168.1.1 then I get an IP conflict on the system?????

I don't understand what you are saying about my gateway being on a different subnet to the rest of my network.....If you could be a little more specific digininja It would help me a lot.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

192.168.0.0 is a different network to 192.168.1.0 If you put a set of machines on the first they can't talk to machines on the second and vise versa without routing information setup.

As your router is on 192.168.1.1 and you fon is on 192.168.0.2 then they can't talk to each other. You need to get everything onto the same subnet. As your router is on .1.x then I'd suggest moving the fon onto something else on that network, how about .1.99

That makes sense and I can see how the pattern of numbers in the subnet aligns all the machines on it....just one problem remains with this solution. When ICS is set up on the laptop with win xp the ethernet nic that the fon goes into is automatically assigned an IP of 192.168.0.1 and this can not be changed. If you do so, manually, connection between the laptop and AP is lost.....so unless your AP is on a subnet of 192.168.0.xxx then internet connection sharing is not a possibility through windows from the fon......This is simple to correct in the home enviroment but I would imagine a little difficult in the field. :(

Also if the fon is set to DHCP/bridged connection and you disable DHCP on windows because I read it is not a good idea to have two DHCP devices running together....again internet connection is lost between laptop and AP.

It seems whatever way I go the door is closed????