http proxy, alternatives to phproxy

alocke79

I'm looking for alternatives to phproxy. I would like to run something on my home server that would allow some friends in more restricted work environments to surf the web freely..or at least follow the funny links I send then from break.com :)

phproxy is good, but it is no longer being developed. Right now I'm letting 2 of them just remote desktop into my home server with very restricted accounts. I've also considered setting up eyeos. But optimally I would like to allow them to simply setup a proxy in their Firefox settings and surf away.

They are of course on Windows at work, so ssh tunneling and doing a socks proxy is not really going to work.

• 4 weeks later...

I think the problem with squid is that u would have to sacrifice your port 80 if ppl from a restricted network are connecting (likely that's all they can get out on), and u might still find that it's leaking proxy-related headers that get blocked by a layer7 control anyway.

Though I haven't used it yet myself, it mght be worth looking at apache mod_proxy to do this, as u would still get to use ur webserver for other things, though u stillight caught by a tight layer7 firewall at the other end - I don't know enough abt mod_proxy to say, but as it will likely be in the clear your proxies domains might hit a company blacklist on the way out. Tho I'm no expert, even with SSL I think the http standard accomodates proxies, and thus has a sep header field for it.

I was looking at a similar thing until I discovered the Corp netwk allowd ssh, so it was smooth sailing after that.

Sk

EDIT: Just realised what I said abt squid is not correct if you use it as a reverse proxy - you can have it vhost out to different servers if you want, which is pretty nifty.

If you're already letting them remote into your computer why not use some secure VPN. The easiest of course is Hamachi 2. Drop it on your server you're letting them remote into and bam you'll have a nice whole in the firewall with encrypted garbage going through.

They are of course on Windows at work, so ssh tunneling and doing a socks proxy is not really going to work.

Enter: Putty.

Works fine for tunnels. So does plink. In fact I recall that's what they used in the episode in which which tunnelling was introduced.