Apple releases Ipad

criticalmass

iPad” for consumers who want to take their movies, TV shows, music, games and reading with them, be it around the house or on the go.

“We want to kick off 2010 with a truly revolutionary and magical product,” CEO Steve Jobs told a packed audience at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco on Wednesday.

Apple’s new product comes at a time when e-readers, like Amazon’s Kindle and others from Barnes & Noble and Sony are on the market, with more coming this year from companies such as Samsung and the Hearst Corp.

This thing is going to rock

http://it-networks.org/?m=20100127

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“So, if you can say to them, ‘Gee you can spend $350 on a dedicated book reader, or you’re going to get this amazing Apple device at twice the price, but with the ability to do much more than read books,’ ” then Apple’s tablet has a good chance of success, he said."

Wow.. I need this guy's job, so I can just spit idiocy all day. I'm mighty sure that wasn't the bottom line on it.

What may help Apple, said McQuivey, is that the company “isn’t thinking” of tablets as “selling laptops without keyboards,” as other manufacturers do; “Apple sees this as a personal media experience that they can create.

So it's essentially boxee with a e-reader on a netbook (i'm sure the specs will be close) without a keyboard, and for what? Probably $700? Sry. Apple lost my buy again. Don't get me wrong sounds like a nice package but nothing breaking any ground.

It also has an IPS screen with a multitouch TS. Already better than any netbook. Netbook users won't know the difference, they are too cheap to care in a lot of cases.

The IPS screen is a cadillac. Shoot I think my wife spent $499 or so for her 22" IPS. (Shes a photographer so accurate color and viewing angle are very important.)

I don't know if I'd call it "a big ipod touch". There is some processing and features taht aren't being used yet. Sure it runs ipod apps, but I bet tehre will be ipad only apps soon.

The iPad is a big iPod Touch. If that's what you are looking for, then get it. If you are expecting a tablet computer, then you are wrong. It doesn't have multitasking, it doesn't have Flash support, no removable battery, and you have to buy apps through the app store.

My opinion, this isn't that great of a product. I was expecting more from Apple, but I wouldn't waste my money on it.

I say save your money and wait to see what comes out later this year. There are suppose to be some other tablet/media devices in the works that aren't Apple controlled.

LAWL!!! OMG it looks retarded! It really does just look like a cartoon sized i-pod :X I really though Apple would do a lot better with this..

I can't wait to laugh at someone hold it. No not because I dislike Apple, I thought they would come out with some mind blowing product, but this is hillarious looking.

And I can feel a really good one being conjured up by the onion right about now with a term like I-Pad :P

looks like its using an ARM based chip, so even if you did root it you can't install good Apple application. If it had been using an Intel chip of some kind and a OSX based base with a new slick GUI, it might be worth buying.

It's not arm. Apple created a custom SoC they called the A4.

ROFL at kr3w - srsly That pic of steve jobs holding one is comical already.

Sort of like when I see one of those smart car deathtraps driving at like 75mph down the freeway. Not only are the engines I'm sure just at the upper limit, but its so funny to see them going fast. I keep expecting to see them go end over end.

To be honest, the iPad isn't on my list of things to buy. Its neat, but I'm far more interested in the other products that come out from competitors shamelessly nicking the idea. I was kinda hoping for something closer to a tablet computer rather than a large iPhone. I have an iPhone Touch, and it ran out of battery about 8 months ago.

Some Chinese firm will rip this off in 2 months for half the cost, add an SDHC card slot and run Android.

Personally I think it's a waste of time, money and energy. It's too crippled to be a laptop but too big to be an iPhone/iPod, it's not very portable but has no keyboard, it's an ebook reader but doesn't use e-ink, it should've been an x86 device and it should've run OSX in my opinion. It's redundant, and I've already heard people talking about jailbreaking the thing: if you have to think about cracking the thing before it's even on shelves to make it functional, you're buying the wrong device. Also, 1GHz ARM (or similar), but no multitasking? What gives? It's not even very cheap once you start adding the niceties on, the 64GB model with 3G costs nigh on what you'd pay for a basic Macbook anyway, except the Macbook's more functional.

Hack the keyboard off a Macbook Air and you might be onto something, in the meantime? Nah.

What happens the first time someone drops it, or yoru kid decides to step on it, cause they step on everything, including laptops. I've yelled at my nephew for doing exactly that, stepping on a laptop. He's 4, but so what. All said and done, the latop was fine, although I wasnt happy about it, it didnt break anything. I don't think the iPad would have survived though.

All I can picture is this:

New from Apple, the iShit, cause you'll shit bricks after buying this oversized piece of shit.

Testimonial: "I shit myself. Literally, iShit myself...they should come with a pair of iWearDiapers!"- #1 Apple Fan Boi'

We all know it will sell 3 billion units though.

True. It probably will sell 3 billion units, maybe more.

...just tells me there are 3 billion people who have disposable incomes and a desire to fit in with the latest fad.

I'm just waiting for the one person to come on here 6 months later, drag up this *future* buried thread, say we all suck because were Apple haters, and then rant on about how it looks so pretty and his rich ass parents bought it for him..