Acer Aspire One or Dell Mini?

tarken

Hey Guys -

I am looking for a netbook to work on some wireless pen testing and general hacking. I am stuck on deciding between an Aspire one and a Dell Mini. Do any of you have any experience with either of them? I am leaning towards the Dell Mini.

Thanks!

Tarken

For the Aspire the AO532h-2730

And the Dell the Mini 10

Others can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not into pentesting, but you might want to take into consideration the wireless chipset that these particular models have. I've read that Broadcom based wireless cards are not that friendly in relation to monitor mode and packet injection. However I think the Atheros chipset works much better. I had no problems with my old AAO 8.9" netbook which had an Atheros chipset. I believe Dell uses the broadcom chipset. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Although I think the safe bet to get an Atheros chipset would be to go with the Acer, I have seen a 10.1 inch model of the AAO with a broadcom chipset.

So, I would lean more towards the Acer. But, I just checked my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One D250 (10.1") and it has a broadcom wireless chipset.

Others can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm not into pentesting, but you might want to take into consideration the wireless chipset that these particular models have. I've read that Broadcom based wireless cards are not that friendly in relation to monitor mode and packet injection. However I think the Atheros chipset works much better. I had no problems with my old AAO 8.9" netbook which had an Atheros chipset. I believe Dell uses the broadcom chipset. Can anyone else confirm or deny this?

Although I think the safe bet to get an Atheros chipset would be to go with the Acer, I have seen a 10.1 inch model of the AAO with a broadcom chipset.

So, I would lean more towards the Acer. But, I just checked my girlfriend's Acer Aspire One D250 (10.1") and it has a broadcom wireless chipset.

Ok, so maybe some broadcom chipsets do work with monitor mode and injection. Hmmmm, did not know that.

some of broadcom ones do work but they sometimes give a lot of problems. an hp dv2000 of mine has one and injection was very hard to get working on it..... on the other hand i have been running backtrack on my AA1 8.9'' (a150 i think) since about a year and it has worked extremely well... injection and monitor mode work like a charm on it