Cain and Abel, gives no results when I search for mac adresses

chuiy

Okay I just started using Cain and Able, I know its for script kiddies, which I am, which is why im using it :0 and probably why im here asking another question. Okay, when I go to sniff my subnet is 192.168.1.1 -> 192.168.1.254. which is correct, and I search for mac addresses, none come up, even though my comptuer, my sisters lap top, the router, and the family computer are on. (We arent rich by the way, my dad just gets a bunch of el cheapo stuff from his company after people get laid off) I also have my wireless card selected when I go to the option. I use a linksys router and a wusbg600n wireless adapter, im pretty sure its supported but im just wondering if any of you know what the problem is. And also when I use nmap in the CMD to search for host, 4 come up in my subnet, so I dont see why I dont get any results back when using cain. Any help?

Cain and able uses winpcap and needs the adapter to function in promiscuous mode to function. Some drivers do not allow promiscuous mode to function. You can test this by running wireshark on the adapter in promiscuous mode and then running it again with promiscuous mode disabled. You should see that promiscuous mode sees no traffic and results with promiscuous mode disabled show you traffic but only traffic intended for your network adapter or that your network adapter generated.

Cain and able uses winpcap and needs the adapter to function in promiscuous mode to function. Some drivers do not allow promiscuous mode to function. You can test this by running wireshark on the adapter in promiscuous mode and then running it again with promiscuous mode disabled. You should see that promiscuous mode sees no traffic and results with promiscuous mode disabled show you traffic but only traffic intended for your network adapter or that your network adapter generated.

Thank you :) I finally got it sorted out.