Connecting to wireless connection in backtrack 4 that has a WPA shared key?

chuiy

Hey guys, this is my first post here, and from what i've seen so far on the forums. this place looks like my one stop shop for all my hacking needs. Anyways, I am using BT4 for the first time. First time for any backtrack to be honest. and I got my wicd manager working, etc etc. It detects my router perfectly fine. However my family router security uses a WPA shared key. Which backtrack 4 does not use under the wicd manager to connect to a wireless network. I could change my router security to WEP or something more simplified, how ever my parents do not want to reset every object in the house that uses internet. SO I cannot change my router security. I think I may have made this post sound over confusing so if you need clarification, ask, but any help is appreciated, I would like to be on my feet as soon as possible :)

Welcome to the forum.

What you'll need more so is the iwconfig command. You're way better off learning how to do everything with terminal rather then gui in BT4 cos thats where the real fun is.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1082854

You should be able to get an idea of what to do from that. Btw because BT4 is Live ('less you've installed it) when you reboot you'll have to do it again.

Some more info here : http://www.everyjoe.com/newlinuxuser/howto-use-iwconfig/

Third comment down.

You just need to know a couple things. Like what interface number would be wireless, your key, etc. Any more questions just ask man.

First thing you want to do is learn the terminal.....

1. wpa_passphrase [ ssid ] [ passphrase ] > wpa_supplicant.conf

2. wpa_supplicant [ -BddehLqqvw ] [ -iifname ] [ -cconfig file ] [ -Ddriver ] (ex. wpa_supplicant -B -Dwext -ieth1 -c/etc/wpa_supplicant.conf)

3. dhclient eth1

4. ping www.google.com

5. TADA!

Sorry for the delayed reply, ive been hopping forums looking for the most active community so I can settle in, so far its between here, and between hack forums. Only problem there is you get a bunch of retarded black hats that cant hack, they just use coded RATs etc. and call themselves hackers. Any ways, I tried your way, how ever, I was wondering.. how do I set up my wpa-supplicant? every time I try it i savve it as a .conf file, but it saves as a text on my desktop, and every time I try to run it using your code, it says it cant be found. Any help oh wise one?