Looking for a phone-less smartphone

Roger Wilco

Long story short. I'm looking to get the equivalent of a blackberry or iphone, but using sip over wifi instead of a phone service. I want a phone that I can connect to my vpn and make and receive phone calls on, as well as get my e-mail on, and do some light web surfing. It would also have to work with public hotspots, hence the web browser. I am installing a cisco phone system, but if I have to install an asterisk gateway, I would. I would also like to avoid having to install proprietary software/hardware to support the device.

I was looking at jailbreaking an ipod touch, but I don't know if there's an ssl vpn client, plus from what I read, you need a special microphone to use it. I've looked for commercial products, but haven't found anything. Anyone have any ideas?

Well.. The HTC Pro and Diamond are pretty common these days, and Android can be thrown on it (the pro is a lot easier than the diamond though) and you could just throw it on that. I have a friend working on the exact same thing.

Well.. The HTC Pro and Diamond are pretty common these days, and Android can be thrown on it (the pro is a lot easier than the diamond though) and you could just throw it on that. I have a friend working on the exact same thing.

I had incredibly good luck with a Dell Axim x51v. Don't think they make very many Pocket PC's anymore though. Skype over it's wifi was flawless. There were a number of SIP apps too.

You can pick up a used N810 for dirt cheap these days. Unless your a hacker/programmer they are bloody useless so people picked them up for novelty value, then realized they wanted an iPhone and sold them.

If you come across a cheap, used smartphone somewhere you could just turn off the phone part. The advantage would be that the speaker and microphone are still in a position where making calls is easy without a headset.

You can pick up a used N810 for dirt cheap these days. Unless your a hacker/programmer they are bloody useless so people picked them up for novelty value, then realized they wanted an iPhone and sold them.

That's a fair comment, if you are not tech savvy its not worth buying. I've picked up a few n810 as I've found they can run everything I use on a full laptop under Linux, even USB TV tuners. I tend to use my n900 most the time but if I'm going somewhere I tend to have a N810 with all my unstable testing stuff on.

I still need to do something better with my N810, its been gathering dust for far to long although it makes a great little RDP terminal. Are there any good resources for them worth checking out?

On another point, I just got a Toshiba TG01, yes, it does run WinMob 6.5 but there are quite a few decent apps for it floating about and for 150£ PAYG its the cheapest snapdragon handheld on the market.

I still need to do something better with my N810, its been gathering dust for far to long although it makes a great little RDP terminal. Are there any good resources for them worth checking out?

On another point, I just got a Toshiba TG01, yes, it does run WinMob 6.5 but there are quite a few decent apps for it floating about and for 150£ PAYG its the cheapest snapdragon handheld on the market.

http://www.gronmayer.com/it/index.php?lang...mp;show_pck=123

They have things like the latest builds of nmap, aircrack, kismet and such. If its not a massive amount of work, mostly cli, just PM me with what you need and I'll port it. (this is for people I know only)

I just wish that there was something commercially available. I'm sure that Cisco could make a dent in the market with something similar. I know of a lot of companies that wouldn't mind replacing their low-level employees blackberries with such a device, and if they made a dock so that it could work as their desk phone as well, I can only imagine that there would be a market for it.

Am I way off base on this?

I had no idea they could be had for that sort of price, might have to keep an eye on Orange next time I upgrade. Side note, if you've got any old devices, some networks will buy them off you (although they'll never give you full market value, or even close), it's not the best way of getting rid of a mobile, but if you need some quick dough to put towards a newer model (and you're not taking out a contract), that's always something to bear in mind.

Currently I have a TyTn II with an extended battery so I'm hardly working with something tiny myself, even though it's getting on in years (they started selling 4 years or so ago), it's still a good device. I don't think you need anything crazy powerful for most stuff, the TyTn II runs Skype just fine, and it's much less powerful than the modern alternatives, it's just nice to have the extra little things like a huge screen or a monster CPU sometimes.