data caping

charm_quark

lol, its F**ked up here the national telecoms AT&T for you guys has a sister company, and hence it is actually started to provided internet thus bypassing the normal isp's... however it is the decent enough that they provide us with, they are gonna start capping, and seriously 10Gb for a month is very ant-like small.. ... changing isp's dont actually work! :(

I would at least setup a local caching proxy using Squid so that you can reduce your data usage. You just need an old PC, couple of NICs, a hard disk and a copy of PFsense. Here is a guide. Other than that, you are probally limited to stealing it from elsewhere or stumping up the cash for a better connection.

+1 for Vako's proxy suggestion, they are great for those huge ass Microsoft updates among other things. Yeap caps do suck immensely but sometimes you need an excuse to go out into the sunlight and not look like a pasty ass twifag. =D

Just get yourself a nice high gain antenna, signal booster and mount on your roof. Then jack that sucker into a wireless network card that meets the Back Track Hardware comparability list for both promiscuous mode and packet injection.

/problem solved.

seriously 10Gb for a month is very ant-like small

Think that's small? I just moved in with the old man for a bit and found he got suckered into a 2 year contract for 400MB 1500/256 for $40 a month... but he gets a $10 discount on the landline he never uses!

Fucking Telstra.

I went well over that within hours of getting there and that was just browsing websites.

FYI, not only will the admin(s) see you immediately if you bandwidth out your telco modem, they will revoke your service, and put you in jail.. Not a good thing.

At the same time though, how much more is it to get the package that has your bandwidth fix?

the old man for a bit and found he got suckered into a 2 year contract for 400MB 1500/256 for $40 a month

I have to ask...did he shop around and do some research on better deals from other isp's that migt be around?

I'm not being a prick or anything, i just find it amazing that the common everyday "shopping around for a better deal",savvy that most adults posess doesn't get applied to looking around for internet plans...it's just .."oh wow, really? SIGN ME UP!!!"

yep this is going to be fun. Simply put there aint much you can do about it. Once apon a time a hacked modem used to work. I can garentee that this will no longer work.

10GB is not very much but that's what you got. A squid proxy with youtube cacheing with help you a little. My suggestion is kick the habit of iptv and downloaded tv and just browse / download music on the 10GB.

The reason isp's have to limit or charge by the GB is because they need to maintain their networks so if they offter a flat price unlimited service and users start to use more than what has been budgeted over time then they either need to increase prices or start capping. It would be unfair on the 95% of the users who don't take the service forgranted because of the 5% who used far too much and increase everyones price. It sucks because as one of the 5% one probably could not foresee this coming. However, with data capping and charging per GB isp's won't need to start charging content providers money(net neutrality?).

It's likley they will release higher GB plans soon because of the capping.

Things you could do to possiblly improve things for yourself in the next few years. Get more people onto the ISP to increase downward pressure.

sadly enough the squid sounds like a nice option, but for guys who dont know i'm running an internet cafe, so by using only 7 thin clients i go way over 40 GB in a month (my av logs), i have a total of 20 machines at the moment, and these guys are the only option in terms of isp.... these guys are so messed up that the net keeps dying, .. i heard from "friends" that they have put all the ip's in the same pool ie the 256k clients and the 2Mbit clients have the same bandwidth, WTF, its sad... i guess squid will save me a bit.. thanks...

I would at least setup a local caching proxy using Squid so that you can reduce your data usage. You just need an old PC, couple of NICs, a hard disk and a copy of PFsense. Here is a guide. Other than that, you are probally limited to stealing it from elsewhere or stumping up the cash for a better connection.

thanks man

Think that's small? I just moved in with the old man for a bit and found he got suckered into a 2 year contract for 400MB 1500/256 for $40 a month... but he gets a $10 discount on the landline he never uses!

Fucking Telstra.

I went well over that within hours of getting there and that was just browsing websites.

sorry mate!!

@ the Superman- Yes they could technically check to see how many computers are connected through viewing individual frames, but there is a trick you can do to make it seem as though it's all coming from one computer... Just can't remember the order, but I think it's you put a router behind a switch? or is it a firewall in front of a router... crap, can't remember.

@ the Superman- Yes they could technically check to see how many computers are connected through viewing individual frames, but there is a trick you can do to make it seem as though it's all coming from one computer... Just can't remember the order, but I think it's you put a router behind a switch? or is it a firewall in front of a router... crap, can't remember.

Well not really, if you were to have a single computer with many thin clients that do nothing but display the applications running on a single computer... then all traffic is coming from a single computer. The point been, it's not possible to determine with any accuracy the number of computers on a network based on NAT'ed traffic.

well guys, i forgot to tell you earlier, that i have replaced the default router (the one the isp provides) with an smc,

i am counting on the fact that these guys are idiots they were supposed to implement the cap last year and still haven't.

natting works yeh for natting

Ps: will be putting up squid in a few days need time to test

Ouch Telstra... look at iiNet's plans.

Yeh I was with iiNet but had to can my naked plan when I moved. :(

Upgrading to Telstras new minimum plan @ 2GB for the same price... better than 400mb is all I can say.

I have to ask...did he shop around and do some research on better deals from other isp's that migt be around?

I'm not being a prick or anything, i just find it amazing that the common everyday "shopping around for a better deal",savvy that most adults posess doesn't get applied to looking around for internet plans...it's just .."oh wow, really? SIGN ME UP!!!"

Yeah he pretty much got talked into it one day when Telstra called him, then called me asking if he got a good deal - Instead of doing it the other way around. /facepalm