Wardriving GPS

troy7548

As i was searching the forums not to many people us GPS for wardriving. I was looking at getting a GPS and was wondering for the people that have used them do you prefere a handhelp GPS or a simple usb magnetic one to stick on the roof of your vehical? any input welcome thanks.

As i was searching the forums not to many people us GPS for wardriving. I was looking at getting a GPS and was wondering for the people that have used them do you prefere a handhelp GPS or a simple usb magnetic one to stick on the roof of your vehical? any input welcome thanks.

Earlier I used Garmin eTrex Camo with serialcable->usb converter but now a days when I wardrive (or mostly warwalk) I used Nokia LD-3W Bluetooth GPS. You don't need to stick that on the roof of your vehical cos it works so well even inside your vehical =)

http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/acce...ps-module-ld-3w

Asus EEEPC inside my jacket... Nokia LD-3W in my pocket... Kismet scanning wifi and festival talking what it founds to my ear via earphones... that's my warwalk setup =)

A smartphone will do the job if you have one, there are several GPS capable wardriving apps for Windows Mobile, for example, and I'm sure there are similar apps for other mobile platforms too. A built in GPS is nice, but a seperate GPS will work too. If you don't have/want a smartphone, however, a simple $40 bluetooth GPS will handle it just fine, and as an added bonus works with anything which has bluetooth rather than just USB or serial. A handheld one will work just fine, but they're often a little larger, my bluetooth GPS cost very little, works very well, and is barely bigger than a small box of matches.

A smartphone will do the job if you have one, there are several GPS capable wardriving apps for Windows Mobile, for example, and I'm sure there are similar apps for other mobile platforms too. A build in GPS is nice, but a seperate GPS will work too.

Talking about GPS and smartphones... there is software called expgps... with that you can use your phone's GPS as external GPS for your computer.

ExtGPS: http://www.joiku.com/index.php?action=prod...;product_id=351

GlobalSat BU-353 is the only one worth getting. Its USB, water proof, gets a lock within a few seconds and is dirt cheap. Surf Star 3 is the only chip set you should be looking at. Garmin handhelds are okay but the cheap ones take too long to get a lock and they drop out too often under trees and random shit.

I'm using a rebranded pharos usb 360. It came with streets and trips 2003. Have it hot glued to a spare suction cup cell phone dash mount. Which is then stuck to the inside of the sun roof in the Element. It's also a good place to Velcro my usb wifi adapter. http://twitpic.com/utfho I'm actually surprised how long it's stayed up there. I attached it right before the Christmas holidays, then drove to Georgia and back, it's still up there today.