Getting ready for a party...

Wallis

Hey, I'm having a party in a few days and I would love to figure out how to hook up my laptop to my televison and sound system. I have this wonderful mental image of playing all the music I have on my laptop through my sound stystem, and having an audio visualizer on my widescreen tv, while controlling the playlist on my laptop. Is this possible?

I don't own a laptop, but I assume you have a vga out on yours?

You'll need something like this!

vga-1lg.jpg

S-Video looks better than RCA/Composite, but I doubt you'll care if you're just displaying visulizations.

For audio, I'm sure you can use something like this. AdptMnito2RcaF.jpg

Thank you very much, i think i see a shopping trip in my near future.

While I am on the topic of party-throwing, anyone have some advice on how to have a properly high-tech party? or just a good party in general, lol.

Wallis

For a good party get lots of lamps with 40watt bulbs, have a large supply of cheap alcohol (make large amounts of punch, its a good way of disguising the taste of poor quality vodka) and make sure you have lots of music and a loud system. One of the best partys I went to had glow sticks, someone just got a crate of the things from ebay and left them all over the house. AND REMEBER TO BUY PLASTIC CUPS!

And make sure you put all your PC's in guest accounts, drunk women looking for There Song in c:windows is never good...

remove chairs and other sitting instruments from the area unless you want a bunch of guests drinking booze sitting on their asses. get people standing, moving, and talking.

keep em out of the kitchen if you can. we do this at hak5 parties so that you have 2 choices. your either hanging out on set, or hanging out on the dance floor (or your out back smoking but we dont partake in those activities)

Sounds activated strobe lights are a wonder addition to consider as well. A friend of mine picked up two of these at some weird store in the mall for 30 bucks and they've been the best thing added to his basement ever since.

Playing girls in strip pool with the strobes on always makes for a good night.

Do you intend to use windows? Then be scared! It will probably crash, and you will look the fool! Linux FTW on this one!

Now if someone could make a PartyLinux LiveCD that would rule, just something along the lines of NTFS support (read, no write), some kinda media player & visulsations, and web access.

One thing I would recommend is having a normal stereo or something similar, if the computers die, you want there to be able to just hit play and have music again.

remove chairs and other sitting instruments from the area unless you want a bunch of guests drinking booze sitting on their asses. get people standing, moving, and talking.

keep em out of the kitchen if you can. we do this at hak5 parties so that you have 2 choices. your either hanging out on set, or hanging out on the dance floor (or your out back smoking but we dont partake in those activities)

ah no party is always in the kitchen tbh :D

Since you're on the Hak.5 forums I'm going to assume that no girls have been invited, so go ahead and shell out the cash for some strippers.

How is a party even posible without girls? I mean... what would you do?

Since you're on the Hak.5 forums I'm going to assume that no girls have been invited, so go ahead and shell out the cash for some strippers.

How is a party even posible without girls? I mean... what would you do?

Eh, I've been to some pretty terrible geek parties. But then again maybe there were girls there, but I just couldn't tell...

well, i think i can use lots of these suggestions, although since there will be mixed company (thats right, men and women) male and female strippers alike are out. but the lighting, the lack of instruments of seating, childproofing, and the stay out o' the kitchen law definatly will be implemented.

as to the whole girl on hak.5 forum thing...i've gotten some pretty weird stares from my friends, male and female alike when i'm on my computer and they say something like, "are you on myspace?" and i reply with a terse "no" and they look over my shoulder and see "technolust". They don't really get my lust of cars either. oh well.