FRee stuff and a cord

gcninja

Just wondering what you guys have lucked out on, i know its been asked before but i just had my luck of stuff and it was wondering yours. my story is i was in a bookmans (known in az only i believe) which is a used books, electronics, etc store they have EVERYTHING. but i was buying some stuff and a gentleman asked if he could sell some of it, they said no, but they could trash it. i looked over and with out thinking because im somewhat shy to ppl i dont know, but i did it any ways, if i could look through. he said sure, i instantly noticed some cisco small switches and hubs but i grabbed what looked like a concealed tape drive with a usb cord attached and a cisco PIX 501 firewall, but i didnt stay long enough to find the power adapter but i should have one around that will work. i told him thanks alot and he told me to swing by his hotel which he had a lot left over, but i could cuz i was running with an impatient ride. but i get home and plug in the "tape drive" so i thought and it turns out to be a 150GB external HD LACIE drive. it had some ghost images and some MYSQL tables or something, i jsut formatted it and now i have one. :) im happy.

NOW: i also got out of it, what looked like a UISB to ethernet cable, but i tried it at home and it doesnt fit, upon inspection i saw i believe 10 copper clips on it and only 5 inside wires... i googled but dont know WTF it is.

so, help? and whats your stories

UISB to ethernet cable, but i tried it at home and it doesnt fit, upon inspection i saw i believe 10 copper clips on it and only 5 inside wires

Sounds like one of the bar code scanner cables, like we had at work. We had one that used what looked like an ehternet cable, but had a usb at the other end. The end that looks like a RJ-45 goes to the scanne,r and the usb goes to the pc, where software reads data from the scanners. Thats my guess.

Looks similar to this?

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/yhst-61234396832668_2084_49050327

MTRO091.GIF

Maybe splice it into something and repurpose it for some opther project, like some sort of charging station or such. or just hang on to it, never know what it might come in handy for down the road. Can never have too many gadgets and parts.

Heh, if they were smart the db would have been encrypted.

Then again, if they just throw away a machine with ghost images and a database on it.. means that either they don't care about the data or they don't know jack about "secure destruction" of data.