Compressing Truecrypt container files

Warfusion

Hey guys i need some help. I stupidly have a external hard drive formatted to fat32....so as u know i cant put anything over 4gb on it. Its a 1tb drive. And i have plenty of space. What i want to do is put a 70gb truecrypt file on it while i do a quick format of my computer. So what i was wondering is if i compress it and split it into 650mb files when i go later to decompress it and open the truecrypt container will i have problems or should it be fine. I have a feeling im going to run into problems after its been compressed.... :angry: ......

Hey guys i need some help. I stupidly have a external hard drive formatted to fat32....so as u know i cant put anything over 4gb on it. Its a 1tb drive. And i have plenty of space. What i want to do is put a 70gb truecrypt file on it while i do a quick format of my computer. So what i was wondering is if i compress it and split it into 650mb files when i go later to decompress it and open the truecrypt container will i have problems or should it be fine. I have a feeling im going to run into problems after its been compressed.... :angry: ......

As Psychosis said you won't gain much from compression however file splitting should work. I would just "winzip" without compression and set file spanning on.

I'd convert it to NTFS personally, Windows has tools which will do that very thing. The alternative is to back up and reformat the thing. While I'd recommend backing up before converting anyway, you can convert while the data is still in place so if you just don't have anywhere to back up to, you still have an option. See here.

Like moonlit said :

There is no need to reformat anything, you can convert a FAT-volume to NTFS inline .

(without loosing data .. unless you have a power-blackout . Removing the drive from the enclosure

and attaching it to a real disk-controller in your PC will speed up the process at least 2X)

How to Use Convert.exe to Convert a Partition to the NTFS File System

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314097

Attempting to compress encrypted data with zip/rar is pointless, in fact you will most likely end up with

something that takes up slightly more space .

You can however use NTFS-compression on the mounted NTFS TC-volume with excellent results .