Active Directory

SBS gives you Exchange 2007, Windows Server Update Service, Sharepoint, Forefront (subscription based), and optionally a SQL install. Its designed for an Office where you would have 1 or 2 servers in place, not for SME's and larger where you would have at least 2 domain controllers, plus multiple other servers running different services. Why use SBS? Because you want to be able to manage each machine centrally, control security, updates, user rights and so forth. While Linux is a hell of a lot cheaper, its also very lacking in this dept.

I'm a little late to the thread, but thought I'd offer up a little advice. Back when Windows 2000 was Microsoft's current day server I read Mark Minasi's excellent, if not huge, Master Windows Server 2000. Basically I put myself in a self-imposed solitary confinement for a week and read the entire 1,000+ page tome. I walked out of my cell knowing Windows 2000 inside out and up and down (or so I thought).

Anyway, he has a really nice style that makes for an easy read so far as technical books go. And it looks like he's still pumping out new versions of the book:

http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Microsoft-...8/dp/0470532866

Also, if you have any questions about something, in my experience he will actually respond back to an email you send him.

Well I stuck with AD since it works for computers in the network.

No access from outside the network, so I assume its safe. :D

What I did with it was setup user accounts of all my friends.

I stuck with the original accounts each PC had, while making programs like VNC or Adito use AD

------------

As for the book, Holy crap, that sounds long!

I dont need to master server or anything, I really just wanted to setup AD for my programs.

I will keep that link bookmarked, in case I do go deeper into server.

Thanks.

=======

While I am here, can someone help with another prob?

Having this setup, I can no longer connect to my friends' subdomains.

My domain is horc.me & I gave a subdomain to my friend so I dont have to keep asking for an IP if if it changes.

[bTW domain uses afraid.org]

I think after installing these server roles, PCs in the network try to look for a machine in the same network, rather than using the Forwarders I specified. Not sure if I explained well.

• 2 months later...

Setting up, maintaining and managing a DC can be quite a difficult and challenging task, for a home user I don't see its benefits very much. But from I business stand point, it makes a lot of sense.

Not forgetting the costs which can rank up quite high as well. I mean it all depends on what you are really try to achieve.

Edited by Infiltrator